REPOST: [coldwarcomms] Re: Western Union & Mt Weather

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 21, 2006
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Frank" <frank_cwv@...>
      To: <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 10:20 AM
      Subject: [coldwarcomms] Re: Western Union & Mt Weather

      On the other hand, the transistor came about because the telco got
      tired of replacing tubes, the first microprocessor was for a Japanese
      adding machine project. The military satelite project I worked on in
      the mid 80's used 2900 series bit-slice components for it's computer,
      not an 8080.

      My take on it is that military R&D money may have played a part, but
      wouldn't the integrated circuit have been invented anyway as a
      natural development in trying to make sturdier and cheaper
      transistors for civilian goods?

      Frank

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, blitz <blitz@...> wrote:

      > Indeed, and I use both daily as well. The modern electronics
      industry
      > is also a direct result of military invention and necessity. I dare
      > say we wouldn't have the microprocessors we have today if there
      > hadn't been a space race.
      >
      > At 08:16 9/18/2006, you wrote:
      > >I think the Internet is probably going to remembered as the single
      largest
      > >example of Government technology transfer ever. GPS is up there
      but the
      > >Internet beats it in my opinion.
      > >
      > >I have a job because of it. I'm a network engineer for a Fortune
      300 company
      > >and I work with TCP/IP every day!
      > >
      > >Mike Harpe, N4PLE
      > >Sellersburg, IN
      > >
      > >--- blitz <blitz@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Ahh Tymnet, we hacked the hell outs that...haha...they tried to
      > > > eliminate 8 bit transfers, and we hacked that too....man that
      brings
      > > > back memories....
      > > >
      > > > NYCDIAL
      > > > and DALLAS:DALLAS
      > > > we beat the dogsnot outa those....they were still working as of
      1991

      INTERNET

      > > > spew.

      > > mean those