REPOST: [coldwarcomms] Re: Western Union Bomb Alarm System

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 20, 2006
      From: "ozob99" <ozob99@...>
      To: <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 3:42 PM
      Subject: [coldwarcomms] Re: Western Union Bomb Alarm System

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "taskforceleader" <mcfoster@...>
      wrote:

      > This seems to be a fairly elusive system. Historically is seems
      > significant as JFK called for it in one of his speeches and the the
      > DoD considered it a top priority in 1959. I believe the
      > Telecommunications Service Priority regulations still refer to it, yet
      > I have never seen a map of the system or photo of any of the
      > components.
      >
      > Recently on a Google search I noticed the Western Union Alumni web
      > site lists a technician, Chuck Jones, that worked in the "Bomb Alarm
      > Room" in Indianapolis and Omaha. See:
      > http://www.westernunionalumni.com/names.htm
      > Does anyone know Chuck or for that matter anyone that worked on the
      > system? Ditto on maps or photos.

      Somewhere in the archives i believe there was mention of these
      circuits terminating in Mt. Weather in a status boardand i've been
      told there were WU personnel there; i suppose any one of them, if
      found, could enlighten us.

      For those who have'nt searched the archive for NUDETS there are a
      number of relevant posts.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 20, 2006