REPOST: [coldwarcomms] Look back (literally) at cross-country TV relay of 1960s

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2006
      From: "jeffkopp" <jeffkopp@...>
      To: <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2006 6:52 AM
      Subject: [coldwarcomms] Look back (literally) at cross-country TV relay of 1960s

      I am watching a public TV telethon which is showing clips from the DVD
      "Broadway's Lost Treasures." I was surprised at the video quality and
      realized it must be an LA recording for time-delay after making the
      long trek across. This was particularly notable in Joel Grey's
      rendition from "Cabaret," with colossal ghosting and crushing of
      whites; it looked like a VHS copied four times over. It sounded fairly
      good, but a quick look at the spectrum showed it rolled off at 6kHz.

      A look at the program guide revealed the DVD is made of recordings of
      the Tony Awards, which were broadcast live and never intended to be
      repeated. So these are likely from the West Coast delay tapes, as none
      may have been made at the originating end.

      So those who wish to take a trip back in time to the days of long-haul
      terrestrial microwave video (and literally see it evolve through its
      last two decades) might be interested. Most of the clips looked
      somewhat better than "Cabaret" (one of the earliest in the collection,
      from 1967).