Re: [coldwarcomms] Missing Messages

    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 20, 2006
      I generally save all of the list messages. I'll begin forwarding them back to the list, with the
      word "REPOST" in the subject line so those who don't need them can delete them. Note that they may
      not be in the correct time sequence.

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 20, 2006
        Oh well sigh, sigh and it was just getting excirting....
        here is a tad more stuff for the discussion said to someone on another
        group who exposited how private industry was everything and givernment
        projects were nothing....

        Giggle, Giggle if the Government can do nothing and private enterprise
        is so great how come we are using a computer network which was pretty
        much the work of government work and money, lots of it freely spread
        around. Whereas IBM's computer networking products produced by the
        paragons of private enterprise went much went nowhere.. In fact the omly
        thing glorious private enterprise has brought about is the much hated
        SPAM. Many many little spameisters hoping and in some cases succeeding
        somewhat on the idea that if only .01% sending a $199.50 for organ
        enlargement creme it is an income and it pays the bills, so its uh got
        to be good.

        The other problem is that precautions which are difficult and expensive
        or take effort and time, and as we are told since time immemoriam, or at
        least 50 years, "time is money" , precautions are expensive, running
        down mysterious little problems is difficult, and if one has say 1
        person out of 100000 who gets sick and one person out of 10000000 who
        does in the US population that is 200 to 300 people. It might be
        related to thee fact that at this one place the this was let to run into
        the that which is what I think happened with the spinach brohaha going
        on right now. Those problems are time and money to run down and take
        lots of effort to find, isolate and fix. If one ever did hardware
        technical stuff on a large scale one knows how difficult this is to do.

        Actually it was a mix of things, government projects and money yes,
        funding from RADC and ONr yes, but it was also teenagers, some from the
        streerts of Cambridge and Palo Alto, and people who snuck in from West
        Virginia;.) after a summer program and became devoted to all things net.
        So the whole mix of things and its relatively meritocratic structure
        that helped things out too.

        Have Fun,
        Sends Stvve

        Frank wrote:

        > Looks like Yahoo lost about 50 posts. I wonder if there's anything
        > that can be done to get them back?
        >
        > Frank

      • Matthew Sadler
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
          It's also worth mentioning that archives of all of the messages, unless
          Yahoo _really_ lost them, are online at
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/coldwarcomms/ .

          --mws (List Owner)

          On 9/20/06, Albert LaFrance <lafrance@...> wrote:

          > I generally save all of the list messages. I'll begin forwarding them
          > back to the list, with the
          > word "REPOST" in the subject line so those who don't need them can delete
          > them. Note that they may
          > not be in the correct time sequence.
          >
          > Albert

        • Mark J. Cuccia
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
            On Wednesday 20 September 2006, frank_cwv at mindspring dot com wrote:

            > Looks like Yahoo lost about 50 posts.
            > I wonder if there's anything that can be done to get them back?

            Albert LaFance (lafrance at att dot net) replied:

            > I generally save all of the list messages. I'll begin forwarding
            > them back to the list, with the word "REPOST" in the subject line
            > so those who don't need them can delete them. Note that they may
            > not be in the correct time sequence.

            And throughout the day on Wednesday 20 September 2006, Albert did
            begin re-posting all of the "missing" posts...

            Matthew Sadler, list owner, (scanchattanooga at gmail dot com)
            replied on Thursday morning 21-September-2006:

            > It's also worth mentioning that archives of all of the messages,
            > unless Yahoo _really_ lost them, are online at
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/coldwarcomms/

            But these are the Archives that Frank originally referred to,
            where Yahoo "lost" a BATCH of recent postings!

            There is a GAP between 7-September-2006 and 19-September-2006.

            I don't kjnow how Yahoo lost those Coldwarcomms posts, but somehow,
            Yahoo "lost" them. I don't know if Yahoo has their own internal
            backup that could have been accessed, but Albert was able to fill in
            the gaps! (Thanks, Albert).

            I am "subscribed" to Coldwarcomms on an individual message by email
            basis. I save some posts, but delete others. Thankfully, Albert saved
            most-if-not-all of the recent postings.

            One could also subscribe to any Yahoo Group to get it as a "daily
            digest", where one gets a single (sometimes maybe two) "Digests"
            within a 24-Hour period, which is a compilation of all of the posts
            over the past 24-hours, or at least since the last time a digest was
            compiled/issued.

            But somehow, Yahoo did "lose" a batch of posts from 7-Sept through
            19-Sept, at least Yahoo "lost" them from their web-archives for this
            Coldwarcomms group.

            Mark J. Cuccia
            markjcuccia at yahoo dot com
            Lafayette LA, formerly of New Orleans LA, pre-Katrina
          • Frank
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
              THANK YOU ALBERT for your effort.

              And thanks, Mark. That is exactly what I was talking about.
              Messages 10650 thru 10700 are no longer in the on-line archives.

              I was on-line at the time, had gotten started catching up on the ones
              I hadn't read yet with 10 or 15 left to go. I clicked "Next" and got
              some kind of error screen saying it was unavailable and saying to
              contact Yahoo if there was still a problem in 48 hours. I went back
              to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/coldwarcomms/messages (where I had
              definitely seen them earlier) and they were gone.

              Frank

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Mark J. Cuccia"
              <markjcuccia@...> wrote:

              > On Wednesday 20 September 2006, frank_cwv at mindspring dot com
              wrote:

              > > Looks like Yahoo lost about 50 posts.
              > > I wonder if there's anything that can be done to get them back?
              >
              > Albert LaFance (lafrance at att dot net) replied:
              >
              > > I generally save all of the list messages. I'll begin forwarding
              > > them back to the list, with the word "REPOST" in the subject line
              > > so those who don't need them can delete them. Note that they may
              > > not be in the correct time sequence.
              >
              > And throughout the day on Wednesday 20 September 2006, Albert did
              > begin re-posting all of the "missing" posts...
              >
              > Matthew Sadler, list owner, (scanchattanooga at gmail dot com)
              > replied on Thursday morning 21-September-2006:
              >
              > > It's also worth mentioning that archives of all of the messages,
              > > unless Yahoo _really_ lost them, are online at
              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/coldwarcomms/
              >
              > But these are the Archives that Frank originally referred to,
              > where Yahoo "lost" a BATCH of recent postings!
              >
              > There is a GAP between 7-September-2006 and 19-September-2006.
              >
              > I don't kjnow how Yahoo lost those Coldwarcomms posts, but somehow,
              > Yahoo "lost" them. I don't know if Yahoo has their own internal
              > backup that could have been accessed, but Albert was able to fill in
              > the gaps! (Thanks, Albert).
              >
              > I am "subscribed" to Coldwarcomms on an individual message by email
              > basis. I save some posts, but delete others. Thankfully, Albert
              saved
              > most-if-not-all of the recent postings.
              >
              > One could also subscribe to any Yahoo Group to get it as a "daily
              > digest", where one gets a single (sometimes maybe two) "Digests"
              > within a 24-Hour period, which is a compilation of all of the posts
              > over the past 24-hours, or at least since the last time a digest was
              > compiled/issued.
              >
              > But somehow, Yahoo did "lose" a batch of posts from 7-Sept through
              > 19-Sept, at least Yahoo "lost" them from their web-archives for this
              > Coldwarcomms group.
              >
              > Mark J. Cuccia
              > markjcuccia at yahoo dot com
              > Lafayette LA, formerly of New Orleans LA, pre-Katrina

            • Steve
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
                Or maybe just a fluke? Another group I am on which usually has a lot of
                activity has been very quiet over the past several days. Someone asked
                where everyone went. Unless you think there is something more afoot
                than out group here. I don't want to sprout rumours or worry about
                things I can't really control.

                Have Fun,
                Sends Steve

                pat wrote:

                > Thanks for the effort, it's very curious how this happened. In my
                > opinion there is a possibility they may have been removed intentionally.
                >
                > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>, "Albert LaFrance" <lafrance@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I generally save all of the list messages. I'll begin forwarding
                > them back to the list, with the
                > > word "REPOST" in the subject line so those who don't need them can
                > delete them. Note that they may
                > > not be in the correct time sequence.
                > >
                > > Albert

              • Mark J. Cuccia
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
                  steve dot kudlak at cruzrights dot org wrote:

                  > Or maybe just a fluke? Another group I am on which usually has a
                  > lot of activity has been very quiet over the past several days.
                  > Someone asked where everyone went. Unless you think there is
                  > something more afoot than out group here. I don't want to sprout
                  > rumours or worry about things I can't really control.

                  I don't know about the other group, but it is possible that things
                  are just "slow", maybe because it is the Summer.

                  But what happened here in Coldwar is that some 50 messages actually
                  POSTED over a period of about a week, all of a sudden "vanished" from
                  the Yahoo "Coldwarcomms" website archive. But the message numbering
                  scheme for later messages which didn't "disappear" did NOT re-number
                  to take the place of the "missing" messages.

                  I don't know how/what/why this happened, but there are sometimes
                  "glitches" which happen in Yahoo. I wouldn't put it past that.

                  mjc
                • Michael Harpe
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
                    Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence.

                    Mike Harpe

                    --- "Mark J. Cuccia" <markjcuccia@...> wrote:

                    > steve dot kudlak at cruzrights dot org wrote:
                    >
                    > > Or maybe just a fluke? Another group I am on which usually has a
                    > > lot of activity has been very quiet over the past several days.
                    > > Someone asked where everyone went. Unless you think there is
                    > > something more afoot than out group here. I don't want to sprout
                    > > rumours or worry about things I can't really control.
                    >
                    > I don't know about the other group, but it is possible that things
                    > are just "slow", maybe because it is the Summer.
                    >
                    > But what happened here in Coldwar is that some 50 messages actually
                    > POSTED over a period of about a week, all of a sudden "vanished" from
                    > the Yahoo "Coldwarcomms" website archive. But the message numbering
                    > scheme for later messages which didn't "disappear" did NOT re-number
                    > to take the place of the "missing" messages.
                    >
                    > I don't know how/what/why this happened, but there are sometimes
                    > "glitches" which happen in Yahoo. I wouldn't put it past that.
                    >
                    > mjc

                  • blitz
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
                      Not surprising, Yahoo has been flaky all week...Im seeing it on other
                      groups, and ones I moderate as well. So just be advised, the
                      yahooligans are busy screwing things up...

                      At 08:31 9/21/2006, you wrote:
                      >It's also worth mentioning that archives of all of the messages, unless
                      >Yahoo _really_ lost them, are online at
                      >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/coldwarcomms/ .
                      >
                      >--mws (List Owner)
                      >
                      >On 9/20/06, Albert LaFrance <lafrance@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I generally save all of the list messages. I'll begin forwarding them
                      > > back to the list, with the
                      > > word "REPOST" in the subject line so those who don't need them can delete
                      > > them. Note that they may
                      > > not be in the correct time sequence.
                      > >
                      > > Albert

                    • blitz
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
                        A lot of msgs marked "old" are showing up on Yahoorgroups as well, My
                        hunch is they swapped some servers.

                        At 16:00 9/21/2006, you wrote:

                        >Or maybe just a fluke? Another group I am on which usually has a lot of
                        >activity has been very quiet over the past several days. Someone asked
                        >where everyone went. Unless you think there is something more afoot
                        >than out group here. I don't want to sprout rumours or worry about
                        >things I can't really control.
                        >
                        >Have Fun,
                        >Sends Steve
                        >

                        >pat wrote:
                        >
                        > > Thanks for the effort, it's very curious how this happened. In my
                        > > opinion there is a possibility they may have been removed intentionally.
                        > >
                        > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                        > > <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>, "Albert LaFrance" <lafrance@...>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I generally save all of the list messages. I'll begin forwarding
                        > > them back to the list, with the
                        > > > word "REPOST" in the subject line so those who don't need them can
                        > > delete them. Note that they may
                        > > > not be in the correct time sequence.
                        > > >
                        > > > Albert

                      • pat
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
                          Sounds like a good hunch

                          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, blitz <blitz@...> wrote:

                          > A lot of msgs marked "old" are showing up on Yahoorgroups as well, My
                          > hunch is they swapped some servers.
                          >
                          > At 16:00 9/21/2006, you wrote:
                          >
                          > >Or maybe just a fluke? Another group I am on which usually has a
                          lot of
                          > >activity has been very quiet over the past several days. Someone asked
                          > >where everyone went. Unless you think there is something more afoot
                          > >than out group here. I don't want to sprout rumours or worry about
                          > >things I can't really control.
                          > >
                          > >Have Fun,
                          > >Sends Steve
                          > >

                          > >pat wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > Thanks for the effort, it's very curious how this happened. In my
                          > > > opinion there is a possibility they may have been removed
                          intentionally.

                          > > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                          > > > <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>, "Albert LaFrance"
                          <lafrance@>

                          > > > them back to the list, with the
                          > > > delete them. Note that they may

                        • Steve
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
                            Interesting use of a decomissioned cold war facility can be seen here.
                            It is kind of curious and science fictiony that a UFO research group
                            would end up using a cold war facility and it fits in so many ways. In
                            fact an early ICBM base. I may write them and ask them if there are any
                            before and after pictures. It would be neat to visit the place to see
                            what it looks like. Looks like one could put a small colony of UFO
                            researchers at the place.. Anyway their write-up with pictures can be
                            found by poking around on their site, which is here:

                            http://www.nuforc.org/
                            Hi res picture: http://www.nuforc.org/S-6.jpg

                            What is interesting here and the topic is kind of related to the stuff
                            we discuss here. Much of the UFO stuff does dovetail with Cold war stuff
                            in a curious way. The Cold War had an immense need for secrecy,
                            especially surrounding some of the technology involved. This when
                            encountered by people not involved with could spawn all sorts of wild
                            legends. It was interesting that when I started doing work on things
                            related to the ARPANET wilder people I knew thought it involved
                            something really scary. I thought it was kind of prosaic, for me it was
                            part of the work a day world. Part of it was exciting but that was
                            becasue no one at the time could easily and at at low expense
                            communicate coast to coast, and I could. But I didn't know where the
                            supposed spooky things were, but the explanation was always given by the
                            wild believers that "Oh the really scary stuff is several layers beyond
                            him". I could never completely shut this down because there were things
                            beyond my purview. I was hoping that when the Cold War ended this would
                            decrease and the government would be more open. But now with the
                            Terrorism Event(s) and subsequent reaction we are back to the same old
                            "we have to keep all these secret from you for your own good." and tghe
                            new "Well because of September 11th 2001 we can't tell you....(etc)"

                            Off the wall question sort of related here, how many people have seen
                            Canopus? from where they live It was always being put down as an
                            explanation for something someone claimed they saw in the sky. It is
                            pretty bright and in the SOuthern US wehere it can be seen in the
                            trees, but it is hardly blindingly bright and doesn't cast shadows.

                            Have Fun,
                            Sends Steve

                          • hooligan@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
                              Surely you put a lot of thought into your opinion before feeling confident
                              in sharing it with us, and therefore, I'm curious what rationale you came up
                              with for the numerous 'Incinolet toilet experiences?" messages that were
                              missing & thus part of this "possible" conspiracy by sinister forces that you're
                              alerting us to?

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 22, 2006
                                It goes with the territory. Remember all those strange devices based on
                                psychic powers the Soviet Union supposedly had because they explored
                                areas the cautious and conservative Western Science Types would not touch.

                                Have Fun,
                                Sends Steve

                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 22, 2006
                                  OK, not to pour gasoline on this but what did the messages in question deal
                                  with? I haven't seen anything go by that looked sensitive at all.

                                  Remember that we get this service for free and you get what you pay for. I
                                  don't think this is anything malicious. Just simple incompetence or
                                  indifference.

                                  If we want to keep everything and have accountability and auditability then we
                                  need to start our own server. Any volunteers?

                                  Mike Harpe.
                                • Steve
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 22, 2006
                                    Uh WHat did we saythat was potentially damaging to National Security
                                    other than the location of Mt. Weather which is not totally secret
                                    anyhow. Out of curiosity where or in what other groups did someone
                                    delete messages tghey were worried about?

                                    Have Fun,
                                    Sends Steve

                                    pat wrote:

                                    > I'm not the conspiracy type, but I (prematurely) came to the
                                    > conclusion that because of a tracert and posts made in that timeframe
                                    > which had the potential to be damaging to national security, someone
                                    > may have taken it upon themselves to remove a section which contained
                                    > those messages. (things like that have happened before on the net).
                                    >
                                    > Apparently not, though.
                                    >
                                    > And yes, the STU-III was the predecessor to the STE =\ my bad.
                                    >
                                    > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                                    > <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>, hooligan@... wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > > Surely you put a lot of thought into your opinion before feeling
                                    > confident
                                    > > in sharing it with us, and therefore, I'm curious what rationale
                                    > you came up
                                    > > with for the numerous 'Incinolet toilet experiences?" messages that
                                    > were
                                    > > missing & thus part of this "possible" conspiracy by sinister
                                    > forces that you're
                                    > > alerting us to?
                                    > >

                                    > > In a message dated 9/21/2006 11:50:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                                    > > staplesdcc@... writes:
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks for the effort, it's very curious how this happened. In my
                                    > > opinion there is a possibility they may have been removed
                                    > intentionally.

                                  • John Young
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 22, 2006
                                      Entire Yahoo groups have been removed without notice or explanation by
                                      Yahoo. Some claim that a single complaint can lead to this brutal censorship.
                                      It doesn't require an official request, merely a threat against Yahoo or an
                                      unsupported allegation. It is far easier and cheaper to yank than to
                                      investigate
                                      and allow the affected party to respond.

                                      A pinpoint removal of a few messages is somewhat unusual but not
                                      unprecedented, and it is fairly common to blame it on a technical glitz
                                      if there is bellyaching. Sysadmins are quite adept at that, as are craven
                                      meddlers of all stripes everready to deploy hoary exculpations and
                                      counteraccusations to conceal guilty malice.

                                      Many ISPs, and corporations (HP far from unique), are adopting this practice
                                      of going well beyond what government officials are allowed to get away with.

                                      There is far less regulation of business, much less of personal duplicity and
                                      avarice, than all-time favored government, and high-handedness and spying
                                      and cheating by business and persons, often milking government teats,
                                      are acceptable unless caught, then there is much backing and filling, crying
                                      for forgiveness, but little punishment commensurate with the ill-gotten
                                      profits.

                                      Think of the high crimes and misdemeanors of the defense and intelligence
                                      industry compared to the dead, crippled and low-paid service members, the
                                      stock market hustlers compared to the hapless investors, the professions
                                      compared to their overtrusting victims, the gloriously housed and costumed
                                      churches compared to their just getting by underwriters, the univesities
                                      million dollar presidents compared to the struggling students and parents,
                                      indivdual billionaires and millionaires swollen with unearned wealth compared
                                      to salaried two-job workers being robbed of their pensions, well, you get the
                                      point that private perfidy is camouflaged by blaming the government or
                                      somebody else's corrupt contract, biased god, vile ethnicity, insufferable
                                      gender, intolerable age, unforgiveable poverty, different from that of the
                                      angelic accuser, er, sulphuric diablo, absolutely certain somebody else
                                      is terribly wrong.

                                      Accusing and blaiming others is a confession of wrongdoing. Ahem and
                                      amen. Yahoo is running scared, like a few others, so don't expect fairness
                                      to anyone who gets in its rush to suck-up to stock market hustlers who
                                      relish mercilessness.
                                    • Steve
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 22, 2006
                                        I think it was all the stuff about Mt. Weather which isn't that secret.
                                        I would believe the more worried messages about things being quietly
                                        deleted if strange things did not seem to be happening to a lot of the
                                        yahoo groups I am subscribed to and ssome of them deal with no very
                                        secret or scary things. I know Yahoo can be a pain and alas the switch
                                        of many people who are starting groups of people discussing a particular
                                        subject from the free-wheeling, with all of its fame fests and SPAM,
                                        Usenet to Yahoo with its Moderator=dictator and its when push come to
                                        shove "your group exists at our good pleasure" might have not been the
                                        best one in the long run.

                                        Having been a system administrator who has had his share of "oh whoops"
                                        moments during a whole bunch of projects which I now call past lives I
                                        can understand what sort of happens. One copies what thinks is the
                                        number of the last message and one is off by 50 and whoops! I have done
                                        this when editing list of documents on a system. Luckily it was
                                        primarily used by myself and few others and I had an archive. So I was
                                        able to fix things. But even with only 10 people working on the thing
                                        besides me it was embarassing. If it had been something sensitive I am
                                        sure I would have been called to task for it. I know how easy it is to
                                        "accidemtally forget and I suppose some people do use that excuse but
                                        that's not nice. Again had it happened just here I would be very
                                        suspicious, but just here in yahooland well large systems....are hard to
                                        keep up and maintain.

                                        Have Fun,
                                        Sends Steve