Missing Messages

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 20, 2006
      Looks like Yahoo lost about 50 posts. I wonder if there's anything
      that can be done to get them back?

      Frank
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 20, 2006
        I generally save all of the list messages. I'll begin forwarding them back to the list, with the
        word "REPOST" in the subject line so those who don't need them can delete them. Note that they may
        not be in the correct time sequence.

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 20, 2006
          Oh well sigh, sigh and it was just getting excirting....
          here is a tad more stuff for the discussion said to someone on another
          group who exposited how private industry was everything and givernment
          projects were nothing....

          Giggle, Giggle if the Government can do nothing and private enterprise
          is so great how come we are using a computer network which was pretty
          much the work of government work and money, lots of it freely spread
          around. Whereas IBM's computer networking products produced by the
          paragons of private enterprise went much went nowhere.. In fact the omly
          thing glorious private enterprise has brought about is the much hated
          SPAM. Many many little spameisters hoping and in some cases succeeding
          somewhat on the idea that if only .01% sending a $199.50 for organ
          enlargement creme it is an income and it pays the bills, so its uh got
          to be good.

          The other problem is that precautions which are difficult and expensive
          or take effort and time, and as we are told since time immemoriam, or at
          least 50 years, "time is money" , precautions are expensive, running
          down mysterious little problems is difficult, and if one has say 1
          person out of 100000 who gets sick and one person out of 10000000 who
          does in the US population that is 200 to 300 people. It might be
          related to thee fact that at this one place the this was let to run into
          the that which is what I think happened with the spinach brohaha going
          on right now. Those problems are time and money to run down and take
          lots of effort to find, isolate and fix. If one ever did hardware
          technical stuff on a large scale one knows how difficult this is to do.

          Actually it was a mix of things, government projects and money yes,
          funding from RADC and ONr yes, but it was also teenagers, some from the
          streerts of Cambridge and Palo Alto, and people who snuck in from West
          Virginia;.) after a summer program and became devoted to all things net.
          So the whole mix of things and its relatively meritocratic structure
          that helped things out too.

          Have Fun,
          Sends Stvve

          Frank wrote:

          > Looks like Yahoo lost about 50 posts. I wonder if there's anything
          > that can be done to get them back?
          >
          > Frank

        • Matthew Sadler
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
            It's also worth mentioning that archives of all of the messages, unless
            Yahoo _really_ lost them, are online at
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/coldwarcomms/ .

            --mws (List Owner)

            On 9/20/06, Albert LaFrance <lafrance@...> wrote:

            > I generally save all of the list messages. I'll begin forwarding them
            > back to the list, with the
            > word "REPOST" in the subject line so those who don't need them can delete
            > them. Note that they may
            > not be in the correct time sequence.
            >
            > Albert

          • Mark J. Cuccia
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
              On Wednesday 20 September 2006, frank_cwv at mindspring dot com wrote:

              > Looks like Yahoo lost about 50 posts.
              > I wonder if there's anything that can be done to get them back?

              Albert LaFance (lafrance at att dot net) replied:

              > I generally save all of the list messages. I'll begin forwarding
              > them back to the list, with the word "REPOST" in the subject line
              > so those who don't need them can delete them. Note that they may
              > not be in the correct time sequence.

              And throughout the day on Wednesday 20 September 2006, Albert did
              begin re-posting all of the "missing" posts...

              Matthew Sadler, list owner, (scanchattanooga at gmail dot com)
              replied on Thursday morning 21-September-2006:

              > It's also worth mentioning that archives of all of the messages,
              > unless Yahoo _really_ lost them, are online at
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/coldwarcomms/

              But these are the Archives that Frank originally referred to,
              where Yahoo "lost" a BATCH of recent postings!

              There is a GAP between 7-September-2006 and 19-September-2006.

              I don't kjnow how Yahoo lost those Coldwarcomms posts, but somehow,
              Yahoo "lost" them. I don't know if Yahoo has their own internal
              backup that could have been accessed, but Albert was able to fill in
              the gaps! (Thanks, Albert).

              I am "subscribed" to Coldwarcomms on an individual message by email
              basis. I save some posts, but delete others. Thankfully, Albert saved
              most-if-not-all of the recent postings.

              One could also subscribe to any Yahoo Group to get it as a "daily
              digest", where one gets a single (sometimes maybe two) "Digests"
              within a 24-Hour period, which is a compilation of all of the posts
              over the past 24-hours, or at least since the last time a digest was
              compiled/issued.

              But somehow, Yahoo did "lose" a batch of posts from 7-Sept through
              19-Sept, at least Yahoo "lost" them from their web-archives for this
              Coldwarcomms group.

              Mark J. Cuccia
              markjcuccia at yahoo dot com
              Lafayette LA, formerly of New Orleans LA, pre-Katrina
            • Frank
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
                THANK YOU ALBERT for your effort.

                And thanks, Mark. That is exactly what I was talking about.
                Messages 10650 thru 10700 are no longer in the on-line archives.

                I was on-line at the time, had gotten started catching up on the ones
                I hadn't read yet with 10 or 15 left to go. I clicked "Next" and got
                some kind of error screen saying it was unavailable and saying to
                contact Yahoo if there was still a problem in 48 hours. I went back
                to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/coldwarcomms/messages (where I had
                definitely seen them earlier) and they were gone.

                Frank

                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Mark J. Cuccia"
                <markjcuccia@...> wrote:

                > On Wednesday 20 September 2006, frank_cwv at mindspring dot com
                wrote:

                > > Looks like Yahoo lost about 50 posts.
                > > I wonder if there's anything that can be done to get them back?
                >
                > Albert LaFance (lafrance at att dot net) replied:
                >
                > > I generally save all of the list messages. I'll begin forwarding
                > > them back to the list, with the word "REPOST" in the subject line
                > > so those who don't need them can delete them. Note that they may
                > > not be in the correct time sequence.
                >
                > And throughout the day on Wednesday 20 September 2006, Albert did
                > begin re-posting all of the "missing" posts...
                >
                > Matthew Sadler, list owner, (scanchattanooga at gmail dot com)
                > replied on Thursday morning 21-September-2006:
                >
                > > It's also worth mentioning that archives of all of the messages,
                > > unless Yahoo _really_ lost them, are online at
                > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/coldwarcomms/
                >
                > But these are the Archives that Frank originally referred to,
                > where Yahoo "lost" a BATCH of recent postings!
                >
                > There is a GAP between 7-September-2006 and 19-September-2006.
                >
                > I don't kjnow how Yahoo lost those Coldwarcomms posts, but somehow,
                > Yahoo "lost" them. I don't know if Yahoo has their own internal
                > backup that could have been accessed, but Albert was able to fill in
                > the gaps! (Thanks, Albert).
                >
                > I am "subscribed" to Coldwarcomms on an individual message by email
                > basis. I save some posts, but delete others. Thankfully, Albert
                saved
                > most-if-not-all of the recent postings.
                >
                > One could also subscribe to any Yahoo Group to get it as a "daily
                > digest", where one gets a single (sometimes maybe two) "Digests"
                > within a 24-Hour period, which is a compilation of all of the posts
                > over the past 24-hours, or at least since the last time a digest was
                > compiled/issued.
                >
                > But somehow, Yahoo did "lose" a batch of posts from 7-Sept through
                > 19-Sept, at least Yahoo "lost" them from their web-archives for this
                > Coldwarcomms group.
                >
                > Mark J. Cuccia
                > markjcuccia at yahoo dot com
                > Lafayette LA, formerly of New Orleans LA, pre-Katrina

              • Steve
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
                  Or maybe just a fluke? Another group I am on which usually has a lot of
                  activity has been very quiet over the past several days. Someone asked
                  where everyone went. Unless you think there is something more afoot
                  than out group here. I don't want to sprout rumours or worry about
                  things I can't really control.

                  Have Fun,
                  Sends Steve

                  pat wrote:

                  > Thanks for the effort, it's very curious how this happened. In my
                  > opinion there is a possibility they may have been removed intentionally.
                  >
                  > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>, "Albert LaFrance" <lafrance@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I generally save all of the list messages. I'll begin forwarding
                  > them back to the list, with the
                  > > word "REPOST" in the subject line so those who don't need them can
                  > delete them. Note that they may
                  > > not be in the correct time sequence.
                  > >
                  > > Albert

                • Mark J. Cuccia
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
                    steve dot kudlak at cruzrights dot org wrote:

                    > Or maybe just a fluke? Another group I am on which usually has a
                    > lot of activity has been very quiet over the past several days.
                    > Someone asked where everyone went. Unless you think there is
                    > something more afoot than out group here. I don't want to sprout
                    > rumours or worry about things I can't really control.

                    I don't know about the other group, but it is possible that things
                    are just "slow", maybe because it is the Summer.

                    But what happened here in Coldwar is that some 50 messages actually
                    POSTED over a period of about a week, all of a sudden "vanished" from
                    the Yahoo "Coldwarcomms" website archive. But the message numbering
                    scheme for later messages which didn't "disappear" did NOT re-number
                    to take the place of the "missing" messages.

                    I don't know how/what/why this happened, but there are sometimes
                    "glitches" which happen in Yahoo. I wouldn't put it past that.

                    mjc
                  • Michael Harpe
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
                      Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence.

                      Mike Harpe

                      --- "Mark J. Cuccia" <markjcuccia@...> wrote:

                      > steve dot kudlak at cruzrights dot org wrote:
                      >
                      > > Or maybe just a fluke? Another group I am on which usually has a
                      > > lot of activity has been very quiet over the past several days.
                      > > Someone asked where everyone went. Unless you think there is
                      > > something more afoot than out group here. I don't want to sprout
                      > > rumours or worry about things I can't really control.
                      >
                      > I don't know about the other group, but it is possible that things
                      > are just "slow", maybe because it is the Summer.
                      >
                      > But what happened here in Coldwar is that some 50 messages actually
                      > POSTED over a period of about a week, all of a sudden "vanished" from
                      > the Yahoo "Coldwarcomms" website archive. But the message numbering
                      > scheme for later messages which didn't "disappear" did NOT re-number
                      > to take the place of the "missing" messages.
                      >
                      > I don't know how/what/why this happened, but there are sometimes
                      > "glitches" which happen in Yahoo. I wouldn't put it past that.
                      >
                      > mjc

                    • blitz
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
                        Not surprising, Yahoo has been flaky all week...Im seeing it on other
                        groups, and ones I moderate as well. So just be advised, the
                        yahooligans are busy screwing things up...

                        At 08:31 9/21/2006, you wrote:
                        >It's also worth mentioning that archives of all of the messages, unless
                        >Yahoo _really_ lost them, are online at
                        >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/coldwarcomms/ .
                        >
                        >--mws (List Owner)
                        >
                        >On 9/20/06, Albert LaFrance <lafrance@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I generally save all of the list messages. I'll begin forwarding them
                        > > back to the list, with the
                        > > word "REPOST" in the subject line so those who don't need them can delete
                        > > them. Note that they may
                        > > not be in the correct time sequence.
                        > >
                        > > Albert

                      • blitz
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
                          A lot of msgs marked "old" are showing up on Yahoorgroups as well, My
                          hunch is they swapped some servers.

                          At 16:00 9/21/2006, you wrote:

                          >Or maybe just a fluke? Another group I am on which usually has a lot of
                          >activity has been very quiet over the past several days. Someone asked
                          >where everyone went. Unless you think there is something more afoot
                          >than out group here. I don't want to sprout rumours or worry about
                          >things I can't really control.
                          >
                          >Have Fun,
                          >Sends Steve
                          >

                          >pat wrote:
                          >
                          > > Thanks for the effort, it's very curious how this happened. In my
                          > > opinion there is a possibility they may have been removed intentionally.
                          > >
                          > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                          > > <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>, "Albert LaFrance" <lafrance@...>
                          > > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > I generally save all of the list messages. I'll begin forwarding
                          > > them back to the list, with the
                          > > > word "REPOST" in the subject line so those who don't need them can
                          > > delete them. Note that they may
                          > > > not be in the correct time sequence.
                          > > >
                          > > > Albert

                        • pat
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
                            Sounds like a good hunch

                            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, blitz <blitz@...> wrote:

                            > A lot of msgs marked "old" are showing up on Yahoorgroups as well, My
                            > hunch is they swapped some servers.
                            >
                            > At 16:00 9/21/2006, you wrote:
                            >
                            > >Or maybe just a fluke? Another group I am on which usually has a
                            lot of
                            > >activity has been very quiet over the past several days. Someone asked
                            > >where everyone went. Unless you think there is something more afoot
                            > >than out group here. I don't want to sprout rumours or worry about
                            > >things I can't really control.
                            > >
                            > >Have Fun,
                            > >Sends Steve
                            > >

                            > >pat wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > Thanks for the effort, it's very curious how this happened. In my
                            > > > opinion there is a possibility they may have been removed
                            intentionally.

                            > > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                            > > > <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>, "Albert LaFrance"
                            <lafrance@>

                            > > > them back to the list, with the
                            > > > delete them. Note that they may

                          • Steve
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
                              Interesting use of a decomissioned cold war facility can be seen here.
                              It is kind of curious and science fictiony that a UFO research group
                              would end up using a cold war facility and it fits in so many ways. In
                              fact an early ICBM base. I may write them and ask them if there are any
                              before and after pictures. It would be neat to visit the place to see
                              what it looks like. Looks like one could put a small colony of UFO
                              researchers at the place.. Anyway their write-up with pictures can be
                              found by poking around on their site, which is here:

                              http://www.nuforc.org/
                              Hi res picture: http://www.nuforc.org/S-6.jpg

                              What is interesting here and the topic is kind of related to the stuff
                              we discuss here. Much of the UFO stuff does dovetail with Cold war stuff
                              in a curious way. The Cold War had an immense need for secrecy,
                              especially surrounding some of the technology involved. This when
                              encountered by people not involved with could spawn all sorts of wild
                              legends. It was interesting that when I started doing work on things
                              related to the ARPANET wilder people I knew thought it involved
                              something really scary. I thought it was kind of prosaic, for me it was
                              part of the work a day world. Part of it was exciting but that was
                              becasue no one at the time could easily and at at low expense
                              communicate coast to coast, and I could. But I didn't know where the
                              supposed spooky things were, but the explanation was always given by the
                              wild believers that "Oh the really scary stuff is several layers beyond
                              him". I could never completely shut this down because there were things
                              beyond my purview. I was hoping that when the Cold War ended this would
                              decrease and the government would be more open. But now with the
                              Terrorism Event(s) and subsequent reaction we are back to the same old
                              "we have to keep all these secret from you for your own good." and tghe
                              new "Well because of September 11th 2001 we can't tell you....(etc)"

                              Off the wall question sort of related here, how many people have seen
                              Canopus? from where they live It was always being put down as an
                              explanation for something someone claimed they saw in the sky. It is
                              pretty bright and in the SOuthern US wehere it can be seen in the
                              trees, but it is hardly blindingly bright and doesn't cast shadows.

                              Have Fun,
                              Sends Steve

                            • hooligan@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 21, 2006
                                Surely you put a lot of thought into your opinion before feeling confident
                                in sharing it with us, and therefore, I'm curious what rationale you came up
                                with for the numerous 'Incinolet toilet experiences?" messages that were
                                missing & thus part of this "possible" conspiracy by sinister forces that you're
                                alerting us to?

                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 22, 2006
                                  It goes with the territory. Remember all those strange devices based on
                                  psychic powers the Soviet Union supposedly had because they explored
                                  areas the cautious and conservative Western Science Types would not touch.

                                  Have Fun,
                                  Sends Steve

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 22, 2006
                                    OK, not to pour gasoline on this but what did the messages in question deal
                                    with? I haven't seen anything go by that looked sensitive at all.

                                    Remember that we get this service for free and you get what you pay for. I
                                    don't think this is anything malicious. Just simple incompetence or
                                    indifference.

                                    If we want to keep everything and have accountability and auditability then we
                                    need to start our own server. Any volunteers?

                                    Mike Harpe.
                                  • Steve
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 22, 2006
                                      Uh WHat did we saythat was potentially damaging to National Security
                                      other than the location of Mt. Weather which is not totally secret
                                      anyhow. Out of curiosity where or in what other groups did someone
                                      delete messages tghey were worried about?

                                      Have Fun,
                                      Sends Steve

                                      pat wrote:

                                      > I'm not the conspiracy type, but I (prematurely) came to the
                                      > conclusion that because of a tracert and posts made in that timeframe
                                      > which had the potential to be damaging to national security, someone
                                      > may have taken it upon themselves to remove a section which contained
                                      > those messages. (things like that have happened before on the net).
                                      >
                                      > Apparently not, though.
                                      >
                                      > And yes, the STU-III was the predecessor to the STE =\ my bad.
                                      >
                                      > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                                      > <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>, hooligan@... wrote:
                                      > >

                                      > > Surely you put a lot of thought into your opinion before feeling
                                      > confident
                                      > > in sharing it with us, and therefore, I'm curious what rationale
                                      > you came up
                                      > > with for the numerous 'Incinolet toilet experiences?" messages that
                                      > were
                                      > > missing & thus part of this "possible" conspiracy by sinister
                                      > forces that you're
                                      > > alerting us to?
                                      > >

                                      > > In a message dated 9/21/2006 11:50:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                                      > > staplesdcc@... writes:
                                      > >
                                      > > Thanks for the effort, it's very curious how this happened. In my
                                      > > opinion there is a possibility they may have been removed
                                      > intentionally.

                                    • John Young
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 22, 2006
                                        Entire Yahoo groups have been removed without notice or explanation by
                                        Yahoo. Some claim that a single complaint can lead to this brutal censorship.
                                        It doesn't require an official request, merely a threat against Yahoo or an
                                        unsupported allegation. It is far easier and cheaper to yank than to
                                        investigate
                                        and allow the affected party to respond.

                                        A pinpoint removal of a few messages is somewhat unusual but not
                                        unprecedented, and it is fairly common to blame it on a technical glitz
                                        if there is bellyaching. Sysadmins are quite adept at that, as are craven
                                        meddlers of all stripes everready to deploy hoary exculpations and
                                        counteraccusations to conceal guilty malice.

                                        Many ISPs, and corporations (HP far from unique), are adopting this practice
                                        of going well beyond what government officials are allowed to get away with.

                                        There is far less regulation of business, much less of personal duplicity and
                                        avarice, than all-time favored government, and high-handedness and spying
                                        and cheating by business and persons, often milking government teats,
                                        are acceptable unless caught, then there is much backing and filling, crying
                                        for forgiveness, but little punishment commensurate with the ill-gotten
                                        profits.

                                        Think of the high crimes and misdemeanors of the defense and intelligence
                                        industry compared to the dead, crippled and low-paid service members, the
                                        stock market hustlers compared to the hapless investors, the professions
                                        compared to their overtrusting victims, the gloriously housed and costumed
                                        churches compared to their just getting by underwriters, the univesities
                                        million dollar presidents compared to the struggling students and parents,
                                        indivdual billionaires and millionaires swollen with unearned wealth compared
                                        to salaried two-job workers being robbed of their pensions, well, you get the
                                        point that private perfidy is camouflaged by blaming the government or
                                        somebody else's corrupt contract, biased god, vile ethnicity, insufferable
                                        gender, intolerable age, unforgiveable poverty, different from that of the
                                        angelic accuser, er, sulphuric diablo, absolutely certain somebody else
                                        is terribly wrong.

                                        Accusing and blaiming others is a confession of wrongdoing. Ahem and
                                        amen. Yahoo is running scared, like a few others, so don't expect fairness
                                        to anyone who gets in its rush to suck-up to stock market hustlers who
                                        relish mercilessness.
                                      • Steve
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 22, 2006
                                          I think it was all the stuff about Mt. Weather which isn't that secret.
                                          I would believe the more worried messages about things being quietly
                                          deleted if strange things did not seem to be happening to a lot of the
                                          yahoo groups I am subscribed to and ssome of them deal with no very
                                          secret or scary things. I know Yahoo can be a pain and alas the switch
                                          of many people who are starting groups of people discussing a particular
                                          subject from the free-wheeling, with all of its fame fests and SPAM,
                                          Usenet to Yahoo with its Moderator=dictator and its when push come to
                                          shove "your group exists at our good pleasure" might have not been the
                                          best one in the long run.

                                          Having been a system administrator who has had his share of "oh whoops"
                                          moments during a whole bunch of projects which I now call past lives I
                                          can understand what sort of happens. One copies what thinks is the
                                          number of the last message and one is off by 50 and whoops! I have done
                                          this when editing list of documents on a system. Luckily it was
                                          primarily used by myself and few others and I had an archive. So I was
                                          able to fix things. But even with only 10 people working on the thing
                                          besides me it was embarassing. If it had been something sensitive I am
                                          sure I would have been called to task for it. I know how easy it is to
                                          "accidemtally forget and I suppose some people do use that excuse but
                                          that's not nice. Again had it happened just here I would be very
                                          suspicious, but just here in yahooland well large systems....are hard to
                                          keep up and maintain.

                                          Have Fun,
                                          Sends Steve