Re: [coldwarcomms] Former AT&T Microwave towers put to use as

  • blitz
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2006
      More like a cluster fsck.

      At 08:09 9/4/2006, you wrote:
      >Sounds like an engineering problem. I suppose if
      >every agency had DSL or a cable modem at every
      >employee's desk, they'd match your home speed, too,
      >wouldn't they?
      >
      >When our system traffic load was down on our agency
      >LAN in DC, I could see download speeds over 11 meg and
      >upload speeds over 7 meg with SpeakEasy SpeedTest,
      >when I was in DC. When everyone was trying to
      >download all the new morning jokes or log into their
      >favorite music source, things would slow down.
      >
      >I must have missed out on the free lap tops, internet
      >service and telephone service. I could get an agency
      >lap top if I needed one for travel. And yes, I could
      >get to my email account 24/7 from the outside world,
      >but unless I was on travel status, I had to pay for
      >that access via my personal account.
      >

      >--- blitz <blitz@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Haha...but with HALF the Internet blocked, and
      > > speeds of a T1 rivaling a 56k
      > > dialup...sure....been there, done that. My cable
      > > modem goes faster than what their T1's.
      > > NOT Surprisingly, the more "advanced" the agency
      > > the worse their system performance.....my sister
      > > works in county gooberment, and their system
      > > smokes, and they share their T1 with everyone, every
      > > department.
      > >

      > > At 12:26 9/3/2006, you wrote:
      > > >or, you can just go to work for the government &
      > > get all of your internet
      > > > service & telephone services for free at the
      > > expense of the taxpayer.
      > > > they usually hand out laptop and fobs like candy
      > > as well, so then you can
      > > > play anytime 24 x 7 instead of the normal 8
      > > hours.
      > > >
      > > > i think school teachers now have the same access
      > > too.
      > > >
      > > > God Bless America!! What A Country!!
      > > >
      > > > I'll never go back to Mexico or the Baltic!!

    • blitz
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2006
        Music sites were verboten, we used Realaudio internally, and couldn't
        download it, OR the players. Winblows video was not used though we
        were stuck being a windows operation. I trans-coded many a file both
        ways to fit the computer.
        Even then, the crap Dell servers, with all the "designed to be
        secure" DMZ, filtering etc. prevented any reasonable speeds. I
        managed video teleconferencing, and had 6 slots of a T1 for the
        conferences, most days we needed half an hour to get thru Drainsville
        and into ATT master control. The system was designed when a T1 was fast. cof..
        In trying to find out why the connectivity issues, I found I never
        put any appreciable load on the T-span, it was all downstream. ATT
        would just stick their head in the sand whenever I questioned them.