Re: [coldwarcomms] Former AT&T Microwave towers put to use as

  • Sheldon Daitch
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2006
      I was thining enginnering, in terms of the
      administration of the system. But I certainly
      understand what you say on the subject.

      TNX

      Sheldon

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2006
        More like a cluster fsck.

        At 08:09 9/4/2006, you wrote:
        >Sounds like an engineering problem. I suppose if
        >every agency had DSL or a cable modem at every
        >employee's desk, they'd match your home speed, too,
        >wouldn't they?
        >
        >When our system traffic load was down on our agency
        >LAN in DC, I could see download speeds over 11 meg and
        >upload speeds over 7 meg with SpeakEasy SpeedTest,
        >when I was in DC. When everyone was trying to
        >download all the new morning jokes or log into their
        >favorite music source, things would slow down.
        >
        >I must have missed out on the free lap tops, internet
        >service and telephone service. I could get an agency
        >lap top if I needed one for travel. And yes, I could
        >get to my email account 24/7 from the outside world,
        >but unless I was on travel status, I had to pay for
        >that access via my personal account.
        >

        >--- blitz <blitz@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Haha...but with HALF the Internet blocked, and
        > > speeds of a T1 rivaling a 56k
        > > dialup...sure....been there, done that. My cable
        > > modem goes faster than what their T1's.
        > > NOT Surprisingly, the more "advanced" the agency
        > > the worse their system performance.....my sister
        > > works in county gooberment, and their system
        > > smokes, and they share their T1 with everyone, every
        > > department.
        > >

        > > At 12:26 9/3/2006, you wrote:
        > > >or, you can just go to work for the government &
        > > get all of your internet
        > > > service & telephone services for free at the
        > > expense of the taxpayer.
        > > > they usually hand out laptop and fobs like candy
        > > as well, so then you can
        > > > play anytime 24 x 7 instead of the normal 8
        > > hours.
        > > >
        > > > i think school teachers now have the same access
        > > too.
        > > >
        > > > God Bless America!! What A Country!!
        > > >
        > > > I'll never go back to Mexico or the Baltic!!

      • blitz
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 2006
          Music sites were verboten, we used Realaudio internally, and couldn't
          download it, OR the players. Winblows video was not used though we
          were stuck being a windows operation. I trans-coded many a file both
          ways to fit the computer.
          Even then, the crap Dell servers, with all the "designed to be
          secure" DMZ, filtering etc. prevented any reasonable speeds. I
          managed video teleconferencing, and had 6 slots of a T1 for the
          conferences, most days we needed half an hour to get thru Drainsville
          and into ATT master control. The system was designed when a T1 was fast. cof..
          In trying to find out why the connectivity issues, I found I never
          put any appreciable load on the T-span, it was all downstream. ATT
          would just stick their head in the sand whenever I questioned them.