Former AT&T Microwave towers put to use as platforms for wireless internet

  • Michael Schwiebert
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2006
      Here in the Northwest corner of Ohio many former AT&T microwave towers
      are seeing a new use as platforms for wireless hi speed internet
      transmitters. The company providing this service is Metalink
      http://wireless.metalink.net/faq.html

      Here's a coverage map for metalink.

      http://wireless.metalink.net/coverage.gif

      Of the sites listed on the map, the locations near Sylvania, Wauseon,
      Hamler & Ayersville are former AT&T towers for certain, while the
      Lyons, West Unity and one of the Defiance locations may be as well.
      Overall, this use is a natural for this area, with cable TV coverage
      limited to incorporated areas, and limited DSL coverage.

      Michael Schwiebert
    • blitz
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31, 2006
        That's pretty pricey for such low speeds.

        At 21:03 8/31/2006, you wrote:
        >Here in the Northwest corner of Ohio many former AT&T microwave towers
        >are seeing a new use as platforms for wireless hi speed internet
        >transmitters. The company providing this service is Metalink
        >http://wireless.metalink.net/faq.html
        >
        >Here's a coverage map for metalink.
        >
        >http://wireless.metalink.net/coverage.gif
        >
        >Of the sites listed on the map, the locations near Sylvania, Wauseon,
        >Hamler & Ayersville are former AT&T towers for certain, while the
        >Lyons, West Unity and one of the Defiance locations may be as well.
        >Overall, this use is a natural for this area, with cable TV coverage
        >limited to incorporated areas, and limited DSL coverage.
        >
        >Michael Schwiebert
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • David Lesher
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 2006

          > That's pretty pricey for such low speeds.

          As compared to gettng 4-5 POTS lines, and equal # of dialup
          accounts; and an inverse mux?

          When your alternative is....

        • blitz
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 31, 2006
            I was under the impression it was Internet connection.
            They do wireless here, at 1mb for $29 a month, and $129 for the equipment.

            At 23:15 8/31/2006, you wrote:
            >Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
            > >
            > > That's pretty pricey for such low speeds.
            > >

            >As compared to gettng 4-5 POTS lines, and equal # of dialup
            >accounts; and an inverse mux?
            >
            >When your alternative is....
            >

            >--
            >A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz@...
            >& no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
            >Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433
            >is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

          • Sheldon Daitch
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 2006
              I was thining enginnering, in terms of the
              administration of the system. But I certainly
              understand what you say on the subject.

              TNX

              Sheldon

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 4, 2006
                More like a cluster fsck.

                At 08:09 9/4/2006, you wrote:
                >Sounds like an engineering problem. I suppose if
                >every agency had DSL or a cable modem at every
                >employee's desk, they'd match your home speed, too,
                >wouldn't they?
                >
                >When our system traffic load was down on our agency
                >LAN in DC, I could see download speeds over 11 meg and
                >upload speeds over 7 meg with SpeakEasy SpeedTest,
                >when I was in DC. When everyone was trying to
                >download all the new morning jokes or log into their
                >favorite music source, things would slow down.
                >
                >I must have missed out on the free lap tops, internet
                >service and telephone service. I could get an agency
                >lap top if I needed one for travel. And yes, I could
                >get to my email account 24/7 from the outside world,
                >but unless I was on travel status, I had to pay for
                >that access via my personal account.
                >

                >--- blitz <blitz@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Haha...but with HALF the Internet blocked, and
                > > speeds of a T1 rivaling a 56k
                > > dialup...sure....been there, done that. My cable
                > > modem goes faster than what their T1's.
                > > NOT Surprisingly, the more "advanced" the agency
                > > the worse their system performance.....my sister
                > > works in county gooberment, and their system
                > > smokes, and they share their T1 with everyone, every
                > > department.
                > >

                > > At 12:26 9/3/2006, you wrote:
                > > >or, you can just go to work for the government &
                > > get all of your internet
                > > > service & telephone services for free at the
                > > expense of the taxpayer.
                > > > they usually hand out laptop and fobs like candy
                > > as well, so then you can
                > > > play anytime 24 x 7 instead of the normal 8
                > > hours.
                > > >
                > > > i think school teachers now have the same access
                > > too.
                > > >
                > > > God Bless America!! What A Country!!
                > > >
                > > > I'll never go back to Mexico or the Baltic!!

              • blitz
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 4, 2006
                  Music sites were verboten, we used Realaudio internally, and couldn't
                  download it, OR the players. Winblows video was not used though we
                  were stuck being a windows operation. I trans-coded many a file both
                  ways to fit the computer.
                  Even then, the crap Dell servers, with all the "designed to be
                  secure" DMZ, filtering etc. prevented any reasonable speeds. I
                  managed video teleconferencing, and had 6 slots of a T1 for the
                  conferences, most days we needed half an hour to get thru Drainsville
                  and into ATT master control. The system was designed when a T1 was fast. cof..
                  In trying to find out why the connectivity issues, I found I never
                  put any appreciable load on the T-span, it was all downstream. ATT
                  would just stick their head in the sand whenever I questioned them.