Re: [coldwarcomms] Bunker

  • Tad Grosvenor
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
      Another site with info about other bunkers is online at:
      http://www.subbrit.org.uk/

      -Tad

      On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Kenneth Coney wrote:

      > Probably just a reaction to the NK thing. Good luck storing food,
      > water, cots and medicine, et al for 200,000 people for any serious
      > length of time. How many pounds of CO2 will those scrubbers have to
      > handle? How many gallons of fuel for the generators? Etc., etc.

    • Blake Bowers
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 29, 2007
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/articles/2005/12/14/burlington_nuclear_bunker_feature.shtml

        I don't know if this was posted here before, but this is great.

        Check out the size of the operator console!
      • Matthew S. Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 29, 2007
          Blake Bowers wrote:

          > http://www.bbc co.uk/wiltshire/ content/articles /2005/12/
          > 14/burlington_ nuclear_bunker_ feature.shtml
          > <http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/articles/2005/12/14/burlington_nuclear_bunker_feature.shtml>
          >
          > I don't know if this was posted here before, but this is great.
          >
          > Check out the size of the operator console!

          Interesting place.

          Something's fishy with their numbers though. For a place that's "only"
          35 acres, having 60 miles of roads makes the roads less than 5 feet
          wide, and doesn't leave any room for anything else. They say it's over 1
          km in length (mixing units is rarely a good idea), making it less than
          500' wide (on average, probably not strictly rectangular). I can see
          having a couple of parallel roads running the length with a few
          connectors, but anything over 4km of roads just makes it a 35 acre
          parking lot. They don't mention how they get fresh air, but I'm guessing
          you wouldn't want a lot of vehicles driving around on a regular basis.
          Or did they have electric cars? Or a trolley system? Not that there was
          really anywhere to go.

          Matt
        • John Griffiths
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 29, 2007
            > > 14/burlington_ nuclear_bunker_ feature.shtml

            <http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/articles/2005/12/14/burlington_nucle
            ar_bunker_feature.shtml>

            > > I don't know if this was posted here before, but this is great.
            > >
            > > Check out the size of the operator console!
            > >
            > Interesting place.
            >
            > Something's fishy with their numbers though. For a place that's "only"
            > 35 acres, having 60 miles of roads makes the roads less than 5 feet
            > wide, and doesn't leave any room for anything else. They say it's over 1
            > km in length (mixing units is rarely a good idea), making it less than
            > 500' wide (on average, probably not strictly rectangular). I can see
            > having a couple of parallel roads running the length with a few
            > connectors, but anything over 4km of roads just makes it a 35 acre
            > parking lot. They don't mention how they get fresh air, but I'm guessing
            > you wouldn't want a lot of vehicles driving around on a regular basis.
            > Or did they have electric cars? Or a trolley system? Not that there was
            > really anywhere to go.
            >
            > Matt

            Burlington was part of Spring Quarry (a former WWII munitions store) more
            details & map on
            Nick McCamley's website.

            http://www.monkton-farleigh.co.uk/sc_springquarry2.htm

            http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/nuclear_bunkers

            John
          • Blake Bowers
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 29, 2007
              I agree about the mileage, but did you look at
              the links to the right? Pictures of the airduct
              system (airdrift as they call it) maps, etc. Even
              a video tour from what I presume to be an
              electric cart.

              >> 14/burlington_ nuclear_bunker_ feature.shtml
              >> <http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/articles/2005/12/14/burlington_nuclear_bunker_feature.shtml>
              >>
              >> I don't know if this was posted here before, but this is great.
              >>
              >> Check out the size of the operator console!
              >>
              > Interesting place.
              >
              > Something's fishy with their numbers though. For a place that's "only"
              > 35 acres, having 60 miles of roads makes the roads less than 5 feet
              > wide, and doesn't leave any room for anything else. They say it's over 1
              > km in length (mixing units is rarely a good idea), making it less than
              > 500' wide (on average, probably not strictly rectangular). I can see
              > having a couple of parallel roads running the length with a few
              > connectors, but anything over 4km of roads just makes it a 35 acre
              > parking lot. They don't mention how they get fresh air, but I'm guessing
              > you wouldn't want a lot of vehicles driving around on a regular basis.
              > Or did they have electric cars? Or a trolley system? Not that there was
              > really anywhere to go.
              >
              > Matt
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Matthew S. Smith
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 29, 2007
                I'd looked at Gallery 1 and 360 Gallery1, but not the driving video. You
                could definitely get lost down there. Sounded like an electric cart, and
                the vehicles that are shown in a couple of the pictures looked like
                they'd be electric. Reminds me of the service corridors in a stadium or
                convention center. Some of the floor looked wet (hard to tell in the
                lo-res video), but there was at least one spot where I could see what
                look like tire tracks leaving one of the "puddles".

                Plenty of ductwork going around. I'm just wondering what their
                dependency was on outside air. What would happen if someone who got left
                outside (perhaps dying, but still alive) managed to block the air
                intakes in an attempt to force someone to come out?

                To keep this somewhat on topic, it was interesting to see the picture of
                the radio room, with the protective grills around the tubes.

                Matt

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 27, 2013