Re: [coldwarcomms] Noway IL (Re: Old Bell System Hierarchical US/Canada Network)

  • long-lines@att.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 16, 2006
      On 15 Jul 2006 at 23:04, Dennis Sandow wrote:

      : (big snip)
      > I seem to recall that the Andover Maine satellite station (1962) also
      > worked a peculiar deal to bypass the local independent, and get its
      > local dial tone services from the nearest Bell office. (I think the
      > issue was that the independent was still manual.)

      Yes, the Andover exchange was manual in the 1962 (ironic eh) and
      the Andover Earth station would have been in the independent rate
      center of Andover Maine. The owner however did not want the work
      (and in reality was unable) to provide myriad of service wanted by
      the Bell System. So, a path and that "patch" of land was
      relinquished by the independent (apparently through the PUC) to
      New England Telephone. The independent did continue to provide
      local service to the station's switchboard though (Rumford to
      Andover & Roxbury Pond was toll) so as to facilitate communications
      with numerous local contractors and material providers.

      c.