Re: 1XX/0XX Was: Re: [coldwarcomms] Digest Number 2111

  • doug humphrey
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 16, 2006

      > Not to mention that the average customer isn't (supposed to be) able to
      > dial 1XX (and 0XX) codes where in the Area Code or Central Office COde
      > part of a (seven or) ten-digit number. Of course, back then, teenagers,
      > college kids, etc. who had those "boxes of a blue color" might have
      > been
      > able to illicitly reach 1XX/0XX codes, but they weren't supposed to be
      > doing that anyhow! :-)
      >
      > mjc

      It should be noted that there were situations where a subscriber
      loop COULD dial these numbers - a number 5 crossbar with
      electronic translate was what I was very familiar with, and inwards
      and other "special" numbers could be dialed.

      Since you were not at a TSPS or using a blue box, you needed to
      fill out the digits for the gear to be able to "start"; so digging from
      memory, whiteplains NY international sender would be 1 914 121 1212
      since 1212 was the "BSP" standard fill digits - always want to
      follow the BSPs when you can ;-)

      you would hear a little MF and then the tone from the sender - you were
      connected and if you had a box that could generate the tones for the
      sender (blue box) then away you went.

      If you were without any special hardware, you would want to call
      whiteplains "inwards" operator on 1 913 082 1212 (from memory - I
      think that is right) and she (always a she back then) would answer
      "whiteplains inwards" and then you would have to do with social
      engineering what you didn't have the hardware for.

      Example:

      wp: whiteplains inwards
      you: whiteplains, this is baltimore TSPS (note 1) can you route
      me to tel aviv Please (you would mention here the routing code
      that you wanted her to use) (note 2)
      wp: no trouble baltimore <hits KP2, codes, start>
      wp: here is your call - have a good evening baltimore
      you: thanks whiteplains
      wp: <hits position release>
      more MF and likely some ringing
      ta: tel aviv in the wee hours
      you: shalom tel aviv, Baltimore USA here, I have a call for the
      US Embassy (you would mention the phone number for the
      embassy of whoever you were calling (I have called it many
      times, but my brain has GC's those bits by now)
      ta: ringing your number now Baltimore - have a great morning
      you: thanks tel aviv
      ta: <hits position release>
      phone ringing - embassy overnight ops answers, you play
      the jerky boys to them and then disconnect ;-)

      note 1 - the inwards operator corp was almost exclusively
      female, so it was good to be other things, like a test board
      and sometimes frame maintenance - you could get more
      risky by saying that you were a supervisor, and most of them
      were men, but they were also generally given a number, so
      you were expected to say "this is supervisor 37" and the like
      or you might get queried on this - which you wanted to avoid
      like the plague. You could say you were Long Lines, which
      was almost all male, but LL showing up on the inwards side
      of the TSPS was pretty rare, and the whole point of the best
      social engineering is to blend with the normal flow, and not
      be memorable in any ways at all.

      note 2 - back when this was possible, a group of enthusiasts
      compiled a pretty cool routing code book that was very
      accurate, and detailed. I can relate a call where the phone
      enthusiast in question got asked for some routing codes, and
      was able to respond in perfect detail. There was worry that
      this was some sort of "testing" to see if the enthusiast was
      authentic, but turned out to be someone new to the position
      who really didn't know what the routing codes were - this Bell
      employee was nicely assisted by the Enthusiast in question
      for half an hour or so, before excusing themselves to do their
      own "work".

      note 3 - how is this "cold war comms"? there were absolutely
      numbers down in that 1XX/0XX range that were US Gov cold
      war related.

      doug
    • Mark J. Cuccia
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 16, 2006
        doug humphrey <doug at joss dot com> wrote:

        > It should be noted that there were situations where a subscriber
        > loop COULD dial these numbers - a number 5 crossbar with
        > electronic translate was what I was very familiar with, and inwards
        > and other "special" numbers could be dialed.
        >
        > Since you were not at a TSPS or using a blue box, you needed to
        > fill out the digits for the gear to be able to "start"; so digging from
        > memory, whiteplains NY international sender would be 1 914 121 1212
        > since 1212 was the "BSP" standard fill digits - always want to
        > follow the BSPs when you can ;-)

        Wasn't the 1XX (18N) code for the White Plains NY International Sender
        actually '182'? Thus the "number" to reach the White Plains Intl. Sender
        as "dialalbe" by some customers would be (1) 914 182 (1212)...

        > you would hear a little MF and then the tone from the sender - you were
        > connected and if you had a box that could generate the tones for the
        > sender (blue box) then away you went.
        >
        > If you were without any special hardware, you would want to call
        > whiteplains "inwards" operator on 1 913 082 1212 (from memory - I
        > think that is right) and she (always a she back then) would answer
        > "whiteplains inwards" and then you would have to do with social
        > engineering what you didn't have the hardware for.

        WAIT ... 913 is Kansas! The NPA for White Plains NY is 914.

        The 1975 Traffic Routing Guide is shown White Plains #2 Inward as being
        914+, i.e., 914+121. 914-121-(1212) would probably reach an inward
        Operator at White Plains #2.

        White Plains #4 didn't have any inward operators, but did have test-board
        capabilities, as 914+063+10X. (Maybe other functions could be reached via
        White Plains #4 as 914+063+"other 1XX" codes as well???)

        > Example:
        >
        > wp: whiteplains inwards
        > you: whiteplains, this is baltimore TSPS (note 1) can you route
        > me to tel aviv Please (you would mention here the routing code
        > that you wanted her to use) (note 2)
        > wp: no trouble baltimore <hits KP2, codes, start>
        > wp: here is your call - have a good evening baltimore
        > you: thanks whiteplains
        > wp: <hits position release>
        > more MF and likely some ringing
        > ta: tel aviv in the wee hours
        > you: shalom tel aviv, Baltimore USA here, I have a call for the
        > US Embassy (you would mention the phone number for the
        > embassy of whoever you were calling (I have called it many
        > times, but my brain has GC's those bits by now)
        > ta: ringing your number now Baltimore - have a great morning
        > you: thanks tel aviv
        > ta: <hits position release>
        > phone ringing - embassy overnight ops answers, you play
        > the jerky boys to them and then disconnect ;-)
        >
        > note 1 - the inwards operator corp was almost exclusively
        > female, so it was good to be other things, like a test board
        > and sometimes frame maintenance - you could get more
        > risky by saying that you were a supervisor, and most of them
        > were men, but they were also generally given a number, so
        > you were expected to say "this is supervisor 37" and the like
        > or you might get queried on this - which you wanted to avoid
        > like the plague. You could say you were Long Lines, which
        > was almost all male, but LL showing up on the inwards side
        > of the TSPS was pretty rare, and the whole point of the best
        > social engineering is to blend with the normal flow, and not
        > be memorable in any ways at all.
        >
        > note 2 - back when this was possible, a group of enthusiasts
        > compiled a pretty cool routing code book that was very
        > accurate, and detailed. I can relate a call where the phone
        > enthusiast in question got asked for some routing codes, and
        > was able to respond in perfect detail. There was worry that
        > this was some sort of "testing" to see if the enthusiast was
        > authentic, but turned out to be someone new to the position
        > who really didn't know what the routing codes were - this Bell
        > employee was nicely assisted by the Enthusiast in question
        > for half an hour or so, before excusing themselves to do their
        > own "work".
        >
        > note 3 - how is this "cold war comms"? there were absolutely
        > numbers down in that 1XX/0XX range that were US Gov cold
        > war related.

        MOST places in the US/Canada tried to AVOID using toll-center codes
        of the 08X format. The 08X codes was for "tandem-thru" functions
        with toll-free Inward WATS, back when 800 was very rigid in its
        numbering and routing/switching struture. However, the 809 NPA
        (Caribbean) did have several 08X format toll-codes. (Youd mentioned
        082 as the toll-center code for White Plains... The 1975 TRG shows
        063 as the toll-center code for WP#4.

        I do think that the overseas gateway switches could also be reached
        with (NPA)+08N codes in addition to (NPA)+18N codes. If I'm not mistaken,
        AT&T was hoping to have two different ways to reach the overseas senders,
        one for undersea cable, the other would permit possible satellite
        connections. In later years, AT&T/Bell wanted 011+NXX (or 011+1XX/0XX)
        "standard looking" IDDD format access codes for the first stage of
        International Outpulsing.

        I do know that eight 07N codes (072 thru 079) were indicated on Bell
        System lists and BSPs as "reserved" with no further annotations. There
        were little or no 07X format toll-center codes in the US, although there
        might have been some in Canada.

        I'm wondering if the 07N format codes were used for the US Federal
        Government and Military for FTS and/or Autovon???

        mjc