OT: Book recommendation

  • tsniffin20902
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6 11:40 PM
      I'm looking for a few book recommendations on cold war history that
      specifically cover the SAC alert bombers and 24 hour alert forces.
      Thanks in advance!

      Todd
    • james kester
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 7 4:31 AM
        Go to the IDDS website.

        Someone there should be able to help.

        tsniffin20902 <TSniffin@...> wrote: I'm looking for a few book recommendations on cold war history that
        specifically cover the SAC alert bombers and 24 hour alert forces.
        Thanks in advance!

        Todd

      • algrobmeier

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 8 11:42 PM
            Thanks for the info.

            TS

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, james kester <radioconstco@...>
            wrote:

            > Go to the IDDS website.
            >
            > Someone there should be able to help.
            >

            > tsniffin20902 <TSniffin@...> wrote:
            I'm looking for a few book recommendations on cold
            war history that
            > specifically cover the SAC alert bombers and 24 hour alert forces.
            > Thanks in advance!
            >
            > Todd

          • james kester
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 10 9:51 AM
              if you need a direct link to it. i can direct you to a major that ran (bits & pieces
              of it). however, i don't really want to if possible.
              but, i would be very interested to know where or what (if any) idds sends you.

              take note of G8 summit this upcoming.

              tsniffin20902 <TSniffin@...> wrote: Thanks for the info.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 11 3:26 PM
                I'm not aware of any BOOKS which give this a complete treatment. There is, however, some discussion in

                Scott D. Sagan, _Limits of Safety: Organizations, Accidents, and Nuclear Weapons_

                (which others have discussed on this list because of its treatment of Cold War C3).

                Also, check Air Force Magazine (available on line at the Air Force Association website) in the past four years. They have had various ARTICLES on the USAF in the Cold War, including (I think) the bomber force.

                Christopher Bright
                CBright10@...

                I'm looking for a few book recommendations on cold war history that
                specifically cover the SAC alert bombers and 24 hour alert forces.
                Thanks in advance!

                Todd

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Mike Makar
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 12 8:15 AM
                  Hello Todd,

                  Most of my information from the mid-90s and back. My favorite books
                  on bomber alert include:

                  The Button by Ford,The Day After WWIII by Zucker, Nuclear Wars:
                  Volume 2 Exchanges and Outcomes by Pry (Chapt 3 has bomber base maps
                  with SLBM threat overlays) Pry's book is almost impossible to find
                  now. For websites try:

                  Airborne Alert
                  http://www.nukestrat.com/dk/alert.htm

                  Nuclear Information Project
                  http://www.nukestrat.com/

                  Old Favorites, www.FAS.org,
                  www.Globalsecurity.org,www.thebulletin.org/index.htm

                  Hope this helps. Email me direct if need more information,
                  mikemakar@....

                  Mike Makar

                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "tsniffin20902" <TSniffin@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I'm looking for a few book recommendations on cold war history that
                  > specifically cover the SAC alert bombers and 24 hour alert forces.
                  > Thanks in advance!
                  >
                  > Todd

                • tsniffin20902
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 17 8:16 PM
                    Thanks again to all who replied with suggestions. It's an interesting
                    period of history that I wasn't really old enough to understand at the
                    time--now I'm trying to play catch up.

                    Todd