Virus Aimed at Yahoo Mail Users

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2006
      Yahoo, world's most popular e-mail, hit by worm
      http://tinyurl.com/lwkwo (Reuters, tnx Drudge)

      LAS VEGAS (Reuters) - Yahoo Inc., the world's largest provider of e-
      mail services, said on Monday that a software virus aimed at Yahoo
      Mail users had infected "a very small fraction" of its base of more
      than 200 million accounts.

      The e-mail virus, or worm, has been dubbed Yamanner and landed in
      Yahoo mailboxes bearing the headline "New Graphic Site." Once opened,
      the message infects the computer and spreads to other users listed in
      Yahoo users' e-mail address books, security experts said.

      The e-mail containing the virus need only be opened -- in contrast to
      most worms that are hidden in attachments and require users to take
      an additional step -- to release the virus, according to computer
      security site Symantec Corp..

      The Sunnyvale, California-based company advised users to update virus
      and firewall software on their computers and to block any e-mail sent
      from the address "av3@...."

      "We have taken steps to resolve the issue and protect our users from
      further attacks of this worm," Yahoo spokeswoman Kelley Podboy said
      in a statement.

      "When we learn of e-mail abuse, such as a worm or other online
      threat, we take appropriate action," she said. "(A) solution has been
      automatically distributed to all Yahoo Mail customers, and requires
      no additional action on the part of the user."

      Yamanner, first detected by Yahoo and major computer anti-virus
      software makers earlier on Monday, was ranked as having a low threat
      level by Trend Micro Inc. and McAfee Inc.

      But Symantec considers the worm an "elevated threat," one step up
      from the lowest ranking in terms of relative danger.

      Symantec's Security Response site suggested Yahoo Mail users might
      protect themselves by upgrading to the latest test version of the
      recently upgraded Yahoo Mail software.

      "The worm cannot run on the newest version of Yahoo Mail Beta,"
      Symantec's site said.

      A Yahoo spokesman was not immediately available to comment on whether
      the company advised users to do this.

      The worm exploits a vulnerability in Javascript technology used to
      make the mail program easier to use by triggering embedded HTML
      scripts to run in the computer user's browser.

      The e-mail addresses are also sent to a remote online computer
      server, which may be used to run spam campaigns, experts said. The
      technical name of the worm goes by variants of "JS.Yamanner."
    • james kester
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 13, 2006
        thanks frank.
        however like all corrupt media traffic. they are a tad late on cert
        notification to user's.
        ah well...

        anyhoo yahoo- i rx'd my first traffic yesterday @ 05:43 EST.

        quickly recognizing the worms definition by virtue of my vast teknikalia training, i sent a test msg & viola 45 msgs appeared!

        methinks the coldwar list owner is using yahoo beta module

        pretty crafty!!!! you rock coldwar listowner!!!! you da' man!!

        My question. How is it that CERT didn't post anything on this? Or why?
        maybe it's not really a threat? maybe it's BIG BROTHEL & COMPANY?

        Are we being watched by some covert operation, hell bent on catastrophe?

        one of these days someone's going to see the dynamics of
        rudimentary self replication & the cold war will appear once again.

        thanks

        Frank <frank_cwv@...> wrote: Yahoo, world's most popular e-mail, hit by worm