Tower northeast of Walsenburg, Colorado

  • Matthew McCleary
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2006
      Today I paid a visit to what used to be a microwave tower about five miles
      northeast of Walsenburg, Colorado, and took about 60 pictures.

      http://flainn.rendelldesigns.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1803

      The tower has four horn mounts (the horns and waveguide have all been
      removed) -- two pointing east at the highest point on the tower, and two
      pointing west at about halfway up the tower. There are still two antennas on
      the tower, a straight one at the very top next to the FAA beacon, and a yagi
      near the bottom. The photocell on the roof is presumably to control the FAA
      beacon.

      I was a bit upset to see that someone has been shooting ravens at the tower
      site. There are two dead ones next to the building.

      Hope you enjoy the pictures.

      Matthew

      --
      Matthew S. McCleary, MCP
      McCleary Consulting Inc.

    • Tim Fox
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 10, 2006
        Matthew --------------- good morning. You are to be commended for an exceptional effort!

        Thank you for your commitment to preserving this part of our shared history. Every one of us is obliged to help document this network in word and picture before it evaporates from our grasp. Here in Illinois 8 towers have recently been demolished out of lack of an economic future and concerns for liability. Not unlike extinction --- once they're gone, they're gone and only memories remain.

        I have contributed several (or am in the process) photosets to Albert of processing. And there are many others who consistently provide new data for our enjoyment. Unfortunately, my efforts pale in comparison to yours.

        Thank you, and keep up the good work...................

        Tim Fox

        (P.S. ------- I think what you reference as an antenna near the FAA beacon is in fact more likely to be a lightning rod.)

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10, 2006
          Thanks. Really, it wasn't much work. I really enjoy touring
          abandoned sites, especially if I can do so without feeling guilty
          about trespassing. =)

          Upon closer inspection, yes, I as well believe that is a lightning
          rod. The wind was blowing hard enough at the top of the tower that I
          didn't want to climb up and take a really close look at it or the
          beacon -- it's hard enough to take pictures at all while clinging on
          to the tower with one arm!

          I hope to find some more sites to document in my area. Anyone have
          suggestions?

          Matthew