Re: Archiving the Archives

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2006
      This is a very important topic, which deserves to be brought up from time to time.

      As a small contribution to preserving our list postings, I recently bought a program called "PG
      Offline"
      ( http://www.personalgroupware.com/ ), for $19.99 U.S., which downloads all of the messages from a
      given Yahoo Group's archive. The messages can then be viewed and searched offline, and exported to
      a Microsoft Access database file.

      The program seems to work very well, downloading all of our 10,000+ messages into a file of about 50
      MB uncompressed, and doing it surprisingly fast, though multiple sessions were needed due to Yahoo's
      controls on the amount of data which a user can download at one time.

      The next step will be to export the messages into a file(s) which will be permanently available on
      my web site, and updated periodically, so that anyone who wants to can have a local copy of the
      archive. In order to read the messages you'll have to buy the program or use Microsoft Access, but
      at least you'll have preserved them independently of Yahoo's servers.

      Message 2 of 10 , May 14, 2006
        I've exported the entire list archive (as of a few days ago) and uploaded it as a Zip-compressed
        folder of about 8 MB at
        ftp://coldwar-c4i.net/ColdWarComms/messages.zip

        The folder should expand to a 50 MB Microsoft Access (.mdb) database file. I don't have Access, so
        I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who does about the useability of the archive.

        If this function is helpful, I'll periodically update the archive so that a permanent record of the
        list's traffic will be always available.

        > This is a very important topic, which deserves to be brought up from time to time.
        >
        > As a small contribution to preserving our list postings, I recently bought a program called "PG
        > Offline"
        > ( http://www.personalgroupware.com/ ), for $19.99 U.S., which downloads all of the messages from a
        > given Yahoo Group's archive. The messages can then be viewed and searched offline, and exported
        > a Microsoft Access database file.
        >
        > The program seems to work very well, downloading all of our 10,000+ messages into a file of about
        50
        > MB uncompressed, and doing it surprisingly fast, though multiple sessions were needed due to
        Yahoo's
        > controls on the amount of data which a user can download at one time.
        >
        > The next step will be to export the messages into a file(s) which will be permanently available on
        > my web site, and updated periodically, so that anyone who wants to can have a local copy of the
        > archive. In order to read the messages you'll have to buy the program or use Microsoft Access,
        but
        > at least you'll have preserved them independently of Yahoo's servers.
        >
        > Albert
      • blitz
        Message 3 of 10 , May 14, 2006
          I get error 421, unable to set up secure anonymous ftp.

          Message 4 of 10 , May 14, 2006
            OK, thanks - that's the kind of feedback I wanted. Let me see what's wrong and I'll get back to
            you.

            Message 5 of 10 , May 14, 2006
              Roger that.

              Message 6 of 10 , May 18, 2006
                Sorry for taking so long with this. I asked my web hosting service about the problem, and was told
                that there had been a problem which prevented access, but it's been resolved.

                However, on their (shared) servers, anonymous FTP only works with FTP clients, not with web browsers
                as I had originally indicated. Your client should be able to connect through port 21 using the user
                name of anonymous@... , and any email address as a password.

                I tried this with BulletProof FTP, and it did work. Do you have an FTP client program? If not, I
                could put the file in my HTML directory, but I'm not sure if a browser could access even there
                because of the file format.