RE: [coldwarcomms] HF today?

  • Craig S McCartney
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 25, 2006
      The USAF GHFS
      Elmendorf, Offutt, Andrews, Ascension, Anderson, Thule, Diego Garcia and several others.

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 26, 2006
        Try a "RFL/RE" search and see what comes up.

        blitz <blitz@...> wrote: Lots of good info on how they operate in the article on "operation
        Howling wind" test exercise. Gives a pretty good overview of what's
        in their systems, and how they operate.
        http://www.ncs.gov/n3/shares/upload/Howling%20Wind%20-%202006.doc

        >Naw; it's SHARES
        >

        >http://www.ncs.gov/n3/shares/shares.htm
        >

        >--
        >A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz@...
        >& no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
        >Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433
        >is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

        Military computer Military cases Military cases Military fastener Military lending Military jewelry

        ---------------------------------

      • james kester
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 26, 2006
          Cancel That! It's "RFE/RL"

          james kester <radioconstco@...> wrote: Try a "RFL/RE" search and see what comes up.

          blitz <blitz@...> wrote: Lots of good info on how they operate in the article on "operation
          Howling wind" test exercise. Gives a pretty good overview of what's
          in their systems, and how they operate.
          http://www.ncs.gov/n3/shares/upload/Howling%20Wind%20-%202006.doc

          >Naw; it's SHARES
          >

          >http://www.ncs.gov/n3/shares/shares.htm
          >

          >--
          >A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz@...
          >& no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
          >Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433
          >is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

          Military computer Military cases Military cases Military fastener Military lending Military jewelry

          ---------------------------------

          ---------------------------------

        • taskforceleader
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 26, 2006
            Would you happen to have coordinates for Andrews? With LocalLive in
            that area should be able to get some closeups.

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Craig S McCartney"

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 26, 2006
              Good, the former was useless...

              Radio Free Europe, Radio Liberty?

              At 07:18 4/26/2006, you wrote:
              >Cancel That! It's "RFE/RL"
              >
              >james kester <radioconstco@...> wrote: Try a "RFL/RE"
              >search and see what comes up.
              >
              > blitz <blitz@...> wrote: Lots of good info
              > on how they operate in the article on "operation
              > Howling wind" test exercise. Gives a pretty good overview of what's
              > in their systems, and how they operate.
              > http://www.ncs.gov/n3/shares/upload/Howling%20Wind%20-%202006.doc
              >

              > >Naw; it's SHARES
              > >

              > >http://www.ncs.gov/n3/shares/shares.htm
              > >

              > >--
              > >A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz@...
              > >& no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
              > >Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433
              > >is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

              > Military
              > computer Military
              > cases Military cases
              > Military
              > fastener Military
              > lending Military jewelry

              > ---------------------------------

              >---------------------------------

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Craig S McCartney
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 26, 2006
                36 48 38.45 N 76 57 58.10 W

                <craigmc@...> wrote:

                > The USAF GHFS
                > Elmendorf, Offutt, Andrews, Ascension, Anderson, Thule, Diego
                Garcia and several others.

                4/24/2006

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Paul Ceruzzi
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 26, 2006
                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:

                  > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
                  > >
                  > > Does any Govt Agency still maintain a significant HF radio
                  capability?

                  We are now at the bottom of sunspot cycle #23, which makes HF
                  communications difficult. Cycle #24 is expected to begin in late
                  2007 and peak around 2012.

                  Thanks to Moore's Law and the digital revolution, every time the 11-
                  year sunspot cycle peaks, the whole world of communicaitons is
                  different. The result is that HF is pushed ever farther into the
                  background at each cycle. At the beginning of cycle #23, for
                  example, cell phones were still a novelty, and at the peak of cycle
                  #22, the Internet was all but unknown.

                  This also affects communications satellites: each time the cycle
                  peaks, the circuit complexity of satellites in orbit is much
                  greater, with a corresponding potential for disruption.
                • algrobmeier
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 26, 2006
                    The following are a few of the Navy's HF transmitter sites:

                    Naval Radio Transmitting Facility, Dixon, CA
                    See http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/dixon.htm

                    Naval Radio Transmitting Facility, Saddle Bunch Key, FL

                    Naval Radio Transmitting Facility, Lualualei, HI
                    See http://www.pacom.mil/publications/hmiata/page28.htm

                    Former NAVRADTRANSFACs at Annapolis, MD; Driver, VA, Chollas Heights,
                    San Diego, CA, et al have been closed in a 1990s realignment of Navy HF
                    facilities.
                  • james kester
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 26, 2006
                      Radio Free Europe is another Cold War Communication invention.
                      There are other's, however they remain shielded.

                      It's really kind of neat how it's continued to develop. I suspect many bogey's were transported through it's network. I also speculate a significant intelligence cop still co-exists there? Worth a look if you like cryptoriddles.
                      I prefer Conditions That Prevail.
                      One of the assets that potentially were overlooked when our great intelligence
                      network was dismantled during a previous.... oh sorry I'm getting ill.... dry heave-
                      dry-heave blah-blah
                      Long Live The Queen.....

                      blitz <blitz@...> wrote: Good, the former was useless...

                      At 07:18 4/26/2006, you wrote:
                      >Cancel That! It's "RFE/RL"
                      >
                      >james kester <radioconstco@...> wrote: Try a "RFL/RE"
                      >search and see what comes up.
                      >
                      > blitz <blitz@...> wrote: Lots of good info
                      > on how they operate in the article on "operation
                      > Howling wind" test exercise. Gives a pretty good overview of what's
                      > in their systems, and how they operate.
                      > http://www.ncs.gov/n3/shares/upload/Howling%20Wind%20-%202006.doc
                      >

                      > >Naw; it's SHARES
                      > >

                      > >http://www.ncs.gov/n3/shares/shares.htm
                      > >

                      > >--
                      > >A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz@...
                      > >& no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
                      > >Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433
                      > >is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

                      > Military
                      > computer Military
                      > cases Military cases
                      > Military
                      > fastener Military
                      > lending Military jewelry

                      > ---------------------------------

                      >---------------------------------

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      ---------------------------------

                    • Blake Bowers
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 26, 2006
                        The FBI does, at its regional offices.

                        Site C has a large HF beam also.

                        > Does any Govt Agency still maintain a significant HF radio capability?
                        >
                        > Are there any HF "Antenna Farms" that are still active?

                      • Jeff Cole
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 26, 2006

                          http://maps.yahoo.com/beta/index.php#maxp=search&mvt=s&trf=0&lon=-76.8625831604004&lat=38.809383046979&mag=4

                          http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=38.803062~-76.893482&style=r&lvl=14&scene=1160974

                          --
                          It's not working because: The computer fleetly, mouse and all.
                        • blitz
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 26, 2006
                            And I believe the Army still has a big site in New Jersey, Vint Hill I believe?

                            At 10:01 4/26/2006, you wrote:
                            >The following are a few of the Navy's HF transmitter sites:
                            >
                            >Naval Radio Transmitting Facility, Dixon, CA
                            >See http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/dixon.htm
                            >
                            >Naval Radio Transmitting Facility, Saddle Bunch Key, FL
                            >
                            >Naval Radio Transmitting Facility, Lualualei, HI
                            >See http://www.pacom.mil/publications/hmiata/page28.htm
                            >
                            >Former NAVRADTRANSFACs at Annapolis, MD; Driver, VA, Chollas Heights,
                            >San Diego, CA, et al have been closed in a 1990s realignment of Navy HF
                            >facilities.
                            >

                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • blitz
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 26, 2006
                              Careful James, or someone will crawl out of the woodwork and chastise
                              you for stating the obvious!

                            • Denny B
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 26, 2006
                                http://www.army.mil/Soldiers/apr97/news/vint.html
                                Redeveloped after base closure in 1993. An "Army
                                Signals Gathering Station" (wink)