A few notes of interest

  • Matthew Sadler, KF4LHP
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 19, 1999
      Have a few things to pass along, as a result of having to wait out a
      brief hailstorm at the university library tonight:

      1. A fellow has a Bell System ad for sale on eBay. This particular ad is
      about the north-south L4 route... the auction is at:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=92663550
      I've got this ad on my website if you just want to see it and aren't
      interested in purchasing it (like me)... see it at
      http://www.qsl.net/kf4lhp/telco/blr/bell_sys_l4_ad.jpg

      2. Found some info on SCAN (switched circuit automatic network), the
      U.S. Army's predecessor to AUTOVON. According to a brief article in Bell
      Labs Record, this network was composed of 4 four-wire #5 crossbar
      switches. Those switches were located at:
      - Santa Rosa, CA
      - Hillsboro, MO
      - Rockdale, GA
      - Frederick, MD
      I also have on the site, at
      http://www.qsl.net/kf4lhp/telco/autovon_keypad.jpg , a pic of an AUTOVON
      touch-tone pad. Note the four precedence buttons (known as A, B, C, and
      D to us hams) and that the * and # buttons are labeled differently.

      3. I now have three pics of towers, both concrete and steel lattice,
      with the original delay lens microwave antennas used on the TD-2
      microwave system. Will have them scanned in and a location for those
      pics posted by the end of the week.

      Comments? Post 'em!
      --
      Matthew, KF4LHP ICQ: 6280641
      Web: http://www.qsl.net/kf4lhp/ EMail: kf4lhp@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 20, 1999
        >2. Found some info on SCAN (switched circuit automatic network), the
        >U.S. Army's predecessor to AUTOVON. According to a brief article in Bell
        >Labs Record, this network was composed of 4 four-wire #5 crossbar
        >switches. Those switches were located at:
        > - Santa Rosa, CA
        > - Hillsboro, MO
        > - Rockdale, GA
        > - Frederick, MD

        What was the Month and Year of the Article?

        >I also have on the site, at
        >http://www.qsl.net/kf4lhp/telco/autovon_keypad.jpg , a pic of an AUTOVON
        >touch-tone pad. Note the four precedence buttons (known as A, B, C, and
        >D to us hams) and that the * and # buttons are labeled differently.

        Flash Override
        Flash
        Interrupt
        Priority

        I forgot the names for the Star and "A"

        If anyone has used an AUTOVON system, does the AUTOVON Interrupt drop the
        other party and connect you to your dialed number or does it conference all
        three parties?

        FYI: I am looking for a AUTOVON 1A2 5 button set. I run a 1A2 key system
        in my house/office and would like to have one on my desk. I have several
        military AUTOVON single line phones to trade.