Re: Satellites

  • rwfisheriv
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 22, 2006
      There are many software tools for sat observing; even a few for
      calculating passes/visibility on handhelds (palm pilots, etc.). Some
      individuals even manage to image satellites using computerized
      tracking telescopes.

      The ISS is quite an impressive sight, given its large size and
      reflectivity. The NOSS satellites are also interesting to watch (but
      not very bright), since they are 2-3 satellites flying in close
      formation....

      There is a satellite observing email list at satobs.org, if anyone's
      interested.

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, blitz <blitz@...> wrote:

      > Agreed, heavens-above is a rather useful tool, but I personally use
      > AGI's-STK myself for calculating their appearances.
      > http://www.stk.com/
      > It's a free program from them (they will send you a nice CD ROM
      > free) with no bells and whistles. Their downloadable TLE's make
      > satellite tracking a breeze, but you will find the program has a
      > learning curve, well worth undergoing if you're a serious satellite
      buff.

      > At 22:03 4/21/2006, you wrote:
      > >I live in a relatively light pollution-free location here in Tioga
      County
      > >Pennsylvania. On a clear night, we can easily see old Russian
      Cosmos-series
      > >ELINT salellites, along with American Lacrosse vehicles on polar
      orbits. To
      > >find out what satellites are passing over your area at any given
      time, I
      > >would suggest visiting www.heavens-above.com. Register, type in
      your LAT-LON
      > >data, and check out the celestial activity in your area. Big fun.

      Hopefully,
      > > > most are there for beneficial purposes.
      > > >
      > > > I hope others reading this will get to witness such a spectacle. For
      > > > me, it was a great Easter greeting.
      > > >
      > > > Paul Rosa
      > > > Harpers Ferry, WV
      > > >

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > > >

      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • blitz
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 22, 2006
        We are old, I remember it as well, I was in Florida as a kid.