Re: bomb sensors (was: no subject)

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 1999
      >Anybody ever seen one of the "sensors mounted on telephone poles?"<

      A former military communications man told me of the type of sensor he
      worked with. It had an inverted glass bowl, about a foot in diameter and a
      foot tall. Flash and EMP detectors were combined in this unit.

      His site once had a bit of excitement when someone keyed a UHF transmitter
      whose antenna was about 10 feet from a sensor. Alarms when off and
      automatic blast doors slammed shut. The sensor was examined and found to
      have a flash detector which failed "on", so all that was needed to
      activiate it was the strong RF field from the radio.

      ...Albert