968Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: PA L3I cable

  • Dave Emery
    Jun 1, 2000
      On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 07:02:37AM -0400, Mark Foster wrote:
      > At 10:37 PM 5/31/2000 -0400, you wrote:
      > >Yes, the manhole repeater sites will probably be a challenge to locate,
      > >especially on the Dranesville-Arlington route. I've seen quite a few
      > >manhole pairs on Leesburg Pike (Rt. 7) and Columbia Pike - I figured they
      > >were for local phone cables. I've had the impression (maybe someone with
      > >definitive knowledge can confirm this) that some cable vaults had two or
      > >more manholes, perhaps to ease the feeding of large-diameter cables, or to
      > >allow personnel entry/exit while a cable was being installed.
      > >
      > >One factor in our favor is that the routes are well-marked, and the L3 huts
      > >should serve as reference points for measuring the one-mile L5 spacings.
      >
      > Never saw one with two manholes. Saw many where there was a separate
      > manhole for the LCXR vault. Have seen LCXR cable in local cable vaults but
      > never local cable in a LCXR repeater vault. Look for the five sided security
      > bolts.

      At the risk of asking the world's stupidest question, did the
      conversion of L3 (and maybe L4) routes to L5 repeaters always involve
      adding additional repeaters and cable vaults every mile (versus every 4
      miles) or did they sometimes just replace the repeaters in the L3 huts
      with much newer designs (based on L5 technology) and live with the
      reduced bandwidth that operating with 4 mile spacing would require ? I
      should think that adding lots of cable vaults in at least some places
      would have been very expensive and more or less a nightmare... whilst
      changing the repeaters would have been pretty easy and cheap.

      Also what was the time frame for the conversion to L5 ? I should
      suppose that by about 1985 at the latest it would have been clear that putting
      additional money into L coax made no sense with fiber becoming a proven
      and cheaper technology...

      > Your old buddies are not out of range anymore. Free search with
      > Military.com's Personnel Locator.

      Dave Emery N1PRE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
      PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2 5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic