874Re: [coldwarcomms] Thurmont, MD passive repeater

  • Patton Turner
    May 5, 2000
      At 09:58 PM 4/21/00 -0400, you wrote:

      >Elsewhere, a double repeater is illustrated. It appears as two
      >"billboards" facing each other, their reflecting surfaces almost parallel.
      >The article explains that the distance between the paired reflectors is not
      >extremely critical; it may be from under 100 feet to over a mile or more
      >with little effect on performance.

      Double billboards are quite rare, as usually you can find a better location
      for a passive.

      There is one other kind of passive - two back to back dishes. It has much
      lower wind loading for the same performance, but won't acheve as much gain
      as a big reflector. The upside is a 180 degree angle works as well as a 5
      degree one. Path alignment can be a royal PITA (4 antennas, 8 degrees of
      freedom) unless you take a Spec-An up the passive tower.

      >Since we haven't seen a "mate" for the Piney Mountain reflector, the
      >135-degree angle limitation should help narrow down the possible
      >destinations.

      Pat