832Re: [coldwarcomms] Unusual AT&T microwave station

  • mwj116@psu.edu
    Mar 30, 2000
      Buckingham, PA is in the middle of the wealthiest part of Bucks
      County, PA...the county with the densest population of millionaires
      in the US. When AT&T wanted to put a tower there, the only way
      they got local approval was to make it as accptable to the local
      tastes as possible, or so the story goes that I was told. Clearly it
      wasn't a hardened concrete tower like the one at Mercersburg,
      PA...and since I used to be the Outside Plant Engineer for Bell
      Atlantic that covered that part of Bucks County, I can say that
      there are no defense-related facilities that might have been part of
      any special AT&T system in the area.

      Other interesting AT&T towers I have seen are along the Ohio
      Turnpike, where they are rectangular buildings, and also right at the
      entrance to the Florida Keys, where there is another rectangular
      masonry building with bays at different levels for horns. I was never
      able to figure out where the other end of the link was...driving down
      to Key West, I never saw another AT&T building...maybe the bays
      pointing that way were for future expansion that was never built.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic