3226RE: Israeli compromise of U.S. telecommunications?

  • Goldsmith, Tim
    Mar 6 11:18 AM
      The Washington Post dismissal of the so called "Israeli Art Students" story
      is interesting...
      Someone has a spin they want to get out.
      The memo they described is more like a counterintelligence activity report,
      in that it is a summary of inquiries and follow ups from dozens of DEA field
      offices and other US Government facilities reporting dates and times of
      literally hundreds of encounters with the students. Rarely are they ever
      arrested, but they were interviewed on many occasions. It appears to my
      naive eyes as a serious report that took some time and resources to
      assemble. I also saw slides and notes from an FBI/DEA briefing on the IAS
      investigation. As the Post asserts, it may all be written by the same guy
      who leaked it. I don't know the origins of the copy I saw.

      There is only one line in the document that describes it as a possible
      counter intelligence activity. Certainly an alternate hypothesis is hard to
      come up with given the patterns of behavior. But the post article seeks to
      dissuade people from the espionage hypothesis.
      We have learned that it has been linked by some people in the government to
      the AMDOCS story and as I understand it, one of the "students" was bailed
      out of jail by someone who works for AMDOCS. Not proof of any relation
      between the two stories but it is intriguing to say the least!

      Whether it is espionage or something more byzantine it is hard to say.

      Tim

      Message: 7
      Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 08:59:41 -0500
      From: "Albert LaFrance" <albertjlafrance@...>