29240Re: [coldwarcomms] RE: Northstar Wideband Map

  • Mike Walker
    Dec 15, 2013
      So, is North Star and Combat Ciders still operational? And when it was, if the local GEPs could not be accessed somehow, were there reserve or back-up GEPs?

      On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 11:45 PM, <coloradoredlands@...> wrote:

      Thanks much Dave.

      Chris

      In a message dated 12/16/2013 04:32:15 Coordinated Universal Time, die@... writes:
      On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 01:09:19PM -0500, coloradoredlands@... wrote:
      > I have a couple of questions as a follow-up.

      > (1)  Was that system actually called NORTHSTAR or did that refer to
      > something else?

          NORTHSTAR was a late 80s/90s code name for the UHF Airborne
      Multiplex system... I beleive that name postdates the system by some
      years - the mux system went into service in 1962-3 and NORTHSTAR refers
      to a much more recent configuration that that original.   Possibly a
      mid 90s or later revision.

      > (2) What is the meaning of the term COMBAT CIDER or COMBAT CINDER?  I  have
      > seen it referred to both ways and I'm sure one is wrong.

          That term was used for the at least the military circuits
      associated with this system.   I have always heard the term as CIDERS
      rather than CINDERS...

      --
        Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die@...  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
      'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)