29239Re: [coldwarcomms] RE: Northstar Wideband Map

  • coloradoredlands
    Dec 15, 2013
      Thanks much Dave.

      Chris

      In a message dated 12/16/2013 04:32:15 Coordinated Universal Time, die@... writes:
      On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 01:09:19PM -0500, coloradoredlands@... wrote:
      > I have a couple of questions as a follow-up.

      > (1)  Was that system actually called NORTHSTAR or did that refer to
      > something else?

          NORTHSTAR was a late 80s/90s code name for the UHF Airborne
      Multiplex system... I beleive that name postdates the system by some
      years - the mux system went into service in 1962-3 and NORTHSTAR refers
      to a much more recent configuration that that original.   Possibly a
      mid 90s or later revision.

      > (2) What is the meaning of the term COMBAT CIDER or COMBAT CINDER?  I  have
      > seen it referred to both ways and I'm sure one is wrong.

          That term was used for the at least the military circuits
      associated with this system.   I have always heard the term as CIDERS
      rather than CINDERS...

      --
        Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die@...  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
      'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)