28485Re: [coldwarcomms] Project Office Conspiracies

  • Mike Walker
    Sep 4, 2013
      Polohat, I don't think I deserved the tenor of your comment. I may not have the expertise on these sites some group members have, but you have no reason to be rude over that. It always pays to be a gentleman.

      Here is what I know of the Project Offices and why I phrased my remarks as I did:

      1) At one point in the Cold War, these sites were used for emergency communications for national command authorities. It appears more recent technological advances have made the line-of-sight and toposcatter microwaves links formed by these sites out of date for the purpose of such government communications.

      2) One site was sold to a private landowner. Obviously, it was no longer needed and anything "secret" was removed. That would also portend that the general design of that site at least doesn't give away much about the overall mission of these sites in general, if it could be sold off in this manner.

      3) News reports indicate the North Carolina site was closed up, though still in AT&T or government hands. However, there has also been reports of apparent renovations at that site and others. The aforementioned helipad was repainted at one site years ago. There is on one hand signs of expansion at some sites, and on there other some seem abandoned or at least left as-is. Am I wrong?

      4) If you call up the Army, Navy, or Air Force and ask about most any facility you will at least get a polite response along the lines of "that facility is essential to research [or training, or whatever] but we cannot go into much detail about it for national security reasons". However, it is very very rare to see the response of AT&T which is a very blunt "no comment" and even in regard to Albert's website a request to not publish the official names of the Project Offices (which suggests they do each have a specific name?) nor their exact locations, though the locations are no secret whatsoever. I find that very funny. It seems like a lot of over-reaction for sites that appear to probably have been reduced in their importance to our national defense.

      Guys, I don't have the experience some of you have. I didn't work for AT&T or serve as a major who had an inside view to many of these things. I have an academic background in architecture, an ample software engineering background, too, and work in journalism. I am very interested in Cold War history—especially the material culture side of things. Forgive me if I was mistaken about any aspects of Project Offices, but here's the things: if I'm off the mark, PLEASE clue me in as far as possible. You know? If I'm wrong, tell me what can be told about these facilities. If you read every one of my posts, you'll not find any AboveTopSecret mutterings about space aliens or the like. I ask what I think are intelligent and valid questions. What I am asking now is this: if the original technological processes of communication employed at the Project Offices are no longer in play, what are some of the repurposed applications of these facilities that could require them to retain the level of secrecy which seems to be provided to them even to this day? What are some ideas? I find the evolution of these facilities fascinating.

      Mike

      On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM, John K Scoggin, Jr <aat3bf@...> wrote:

      Nothing at all strange – remember, it’s probably “Government Work”. When it’s black budget, they can’t spend it fast enough. Other People’s Money.

      And the Deathstar on the helipad might just be their funny little corporate way of thumbing their noses at the Other’s recon birds and the Google Earth fanboys, “nya, nya, nya, guess what we’re doing here…”. Gr

      john