27927Re: Oregon tower

  • widebandit
    Jun 11, 2013
      The tower is a Microflect HD-65 (High Density) that was offered as an alternative to the standard RC&R towers. The design is a 30.5-ft square non-tapered tower that was available in heights of 65-ft to 140-ft in 12.5-ft increments.

      The tower could support up to eight horns - four on the main-deck corners and four on the diagonally-mounted top deck. Tower height was measured to top deck so an HD-65 tower with just the main deck was actually 50-ft tall; single-deck HD tower heights ranged from 50-ft to 125-ft.

      HD series towers mainly appear in Oregon and Washington due to Microflect's original location in Salem, Oregon. Microflect was subsequently acquired by Valmont - known for large center-pivot irrigation systems used in flat farm country marketed under the brand Valley Irrigation.

      Some sites with Microflect HD towers:
      Oregon:
      Amity HD-65 1-Deck
      Crescent Butte HD-90 1-Deck
      Hoodoo Butte HD-65 2-Deck
      Mt Horeb HD-77.5 1-Deck
      Saddle Mt HD-65 2-Deck
      Spring River HD-65 1-Deck
      Welch Butte HD-102.5 1-Deck

      Washington:
      Joe Butte HD-115 2-Deck
      Lebam HD-65 1-Deck

      This list may not be all-inclusive - wa -

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Albert LaFrance <alafrance@...> wrote:

      > Great page, Daryl. The tower does look unusual - much broader than I'd
      > expect given its low height..
      >
      > As an aside, this is the first time I've seen an AT&T microwave tech, or
      > the type of vehicle they drive. Somehow I expected a "woody" station wagon
      > with the old Bell System logo on the door...
      >
      > Albert
      >
      > >A retired AT&T tech sent me some pictures of the South Saddle Mountain
      > >Oregon AT&T site. Since they are interesting to me because of the
      > >tower style and the number of horns, I thought I would drop a note
      > >to the list. The tower is unusual for an AT&T site, apparently
      > >built this way to withstand 100 mph wind blasts from the Pacific.
      > >
      > >They're at: http://www.drgibson.com/towers/bob.html
      > >
      > >Daryl

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic