27600Re: [coldwarcomms] NAVRADSTA (T) SITE - JIM CREEK WA

  • couryhousesmecc
    Apr 27, 2013
      Nick! amazing! is it VLF LF or HF?

      In a message dated 4/27/2013 11:40:11 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
      navy.radio@... writes:

      From 0:33 to 0:44 you can see a very cool (and rare) TT-71/UG projection
      teletype in operation - a Model 15 TTY prints onto a roll of acetate
      running through an overhead projector mechanism.

      Another newsreel video on Jim Creek with additional views is at
      http://www.britishpathe.com/video/navy-transmitter

      And I have several magazine articles scanned and linked at
      http://www.navy-radio.com/commsta/jimcreek.htm

      The Jim Creek VLF transmitter is still operational and its signals are also
      used by some folks doing geophysical research. I got e-mail from one of
      these researchers recently asking me why Jim Creek was off the air. (I
      dunno - www.navy-radio.com is just a hobby site - nothing official). But
      since Google is My Friend (tm), I found the phone number for the
      transmitter control desk. No answer but I got a call back shortly asking
      why I had called that number. They wouldn't comment on operations, but now
      I'm on someone's list no doubt.
      Cheers,
      Nick
      www.navy-radio.com