27413Re: SF6

  • widebandit
    Apr 5, 2013
      SF6 replaced nitrogen in those sections of L3 coax where the AC power potential was 1,200 V or greater. It was used mainly to suppress corona noise rather than to prevent arcing.

      SF6 is discussed briefly on page 829 of the July 1953 BSTJ L3 Coaxial System Design paper:
      <http://www3.alcatel-lucent.com/bstj/vol32-1953/articles/bstj32-4-781.pdf>
      There is mention of extensive testing to determine that SF6 did not physically harm the cable, as well as the need for safety precautions when entering manholes or using soldering torches in the presence of SF6 (though SF6 itself is inert, it has the potential of producing toxic derivatives at high temperatures), but there is no mention of SF6 altering coaxial transmission properties and I would presume its effect was insignificant.

      - waw -

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David <wb8foz@...> wrote:

      > So I recall reading that on or more L carrier runs, L-L was forced into
      > pressuring the coax with SF6, not air, on a line that arced over
      > repeatedly. Was it in the California High Desert, maybe?
      >
      > I was wondering what effect that had on the line losses and equalization.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic