27402Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Multiple L's in a ditch/vault? [NE Ohio]

  • Paul Zawada
    Apr 5, 2013
      On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 6:38 PM, David <wb8foz@...> wrote:

      > On 4/1/13 5:55 PM, cpe122 wrote:
      >
      > While I'm pretty sure
      > > LL ran glass to Akron, it wouldn't be ariel.
      >
      > Or even aerial....

      Believe it or not, I know of one AT&T long haul fiber route that is aerial,
      running through Huntington, WV and Ashland, KY, marked with AT&T Death Star
      tags to boot. The pre-SBC merger logo and the fact it runs through
      Frontier (ex-Verizon, ex-GTE) territory definitely seems to indicate that
      it's long haul, though I don't know if goes back to "Long Lines" days,
      depending on when you believe that era truly ended. FWIW, the route does
      NOT show up on Blake's 1993 TMRS maps, so it was probably put in some time
      in the 1990s or early 2000s.

      It's funny because it appears the person who designed the tags did a little
      cut and paste from the standard buried cable markers. There's a gap where
      they deleted the warning that says "do not dig anywhere in this area" but
      it still warns that "violators are subject to prosecution." Violators of
      what? It also gives a phone number to call for location of the cable, like
      you can't just look up on the pole and see it there.

      --zawada