24753Re: WASHFAX

    Jun 6, 2012
      Looking further I found this reference to WASHFAX IV:

      "FY 1990 Planned Program:

      Make technical assessments for integration of the Survivable
      Communications Interface System (SCIS) into the NMCS.

      Implement WASHFAX IV proof-of-concept system."

      I'd guess today's iteration is a higher number.

      Another relevent snippet:

      "WashFax:A secure fax system intended for use within the D.C. Beltway"

      I doubt it's confined to the Beltway today.

      I was'nt familiar with SCIS, so here is one descriptive snippet:

      "
      The Survivable Communications Integration System (SCIS) is an automated communications and message processor that will use multiple communications and media to provide survivable, timely, reliable, and error-free delivery of critical missile warning information between sensor sites, correlation nodes, and forward users through stressed communications environments. The SCIS communications media is Commercial High-Speed (CHS), and MILSTAR. At the sensors, the SCIS will process ballistic missile Integrated Tactical Warning/Attack Assessment (ITW/AA) data (space data will be passed through but not processed), format the data into survivable message sets (if not already done by the sensor host computer), develop summary messages, transmit messages over multiple media, and provide message accountability. Also, SCIS will compare messages sent from the same source and eliminate duplicates. Refer to the Communications Component Plan for the existing SCIS Circuit specifics."

      > Thanks, fills in some of the blanks. I recall Codex gear & that's a possibility,and another member suggests Xerox involvement with the early machines.
      >
      > The Congressional Record & committee hearings sometimes have good topic info buried within, but difficult to wade through; is there a search feature within the congressional .GOV domains?
      >
      > FWIW the telco circuit designation would have been GFnnnn for voice grade & GWnnnn for analog wideband(same designation used for wideband secure voice or data).
      >

      > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Sam Etler <etler@> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 5:29 PM, OZOB99 <ozob99@> wrote:
      > > > A high speed secure facsimile system in the Washington area according to the book *Nerve Center by Michael K. Bohn: originated as Washington LDX(long distance xerography) in the 1960's by the DCA, connecting the WH Sit Rm,State,DOD,CIA,NSA,DIA,et al.
      > >
      > > It's mentioned numerous times between 1973 and 1987 in various
      > > Congressional hearings on DoD and FEMA appropriations. Sometimes in
      > > passing, sometimes in a bit more detail. These are the more
      > > interesting snippits I could find:
      > >
      > > Department of Defense Appropriations for 1974, Hearings before the
      > > Subcommittee on the Department of Defense, Committee on
      > > Appropriations, House of Representatives, 93rd Congress, First
      > > Session, Part 9: Defense Agencies, p. 1149 (SUDOC:
      > > Y4.Ap6/1:D36/5/974/pt.9)
      > >
      > > "d. The high-speed facsimile system development for WASHFAX. This
      > > development proved the feasibility of obtaining bandwidth compression
      > > for facsimile transmission, as well as the capability of transmitting
      > > facsimile over store-and-forward switched systems such as the
      > > AUTODIN."
      > >
      > > Department of Defense Appropriations for 1975. Part 4: Research,
      > > Development, Test and Evaluation, p. 174 (SUDOC:
      > > Y4.Ap6/1:D36/5/975/pt.4)
      > >
      > > DCS Program Accomplishments and Future Programs:
      > >
      > > "b. FY 1973 Accomplishments: ... A developed gray scale facsimile
      > > system was delivered to provide an assessment of transmitting
      > > photographs over WASHFAX."
      > >
      > > and on p. 214 under NMCS-Wide Support, FY 1974 Programs:
      > >
      > > "For the Washington Facsimile System (WASHFAX), program planning to
      > > define improvement goals was completed and forwarded to the National
      > > Communications System (NCS) for approval. Planning and evaluation of
      > > the WASHFAX grey scale program was completed."
      > >
      > > State, Justice, Commerce, the Judiciary, and Related Agencies
      > > Appropriations, FY77. Part 1: Justifications, p. 172 (SUDOC:
      > > Y4.Ap6/2:St2/977/pt.1)
      > >
      > > "The communications "lifelines" between the major federal "crisis
      > > management centers" in Washington are provided by the Washington Area
      > > Secure High Speed Facsimile (WASHFAX) network managed by the National
      > > Communications System. The existing network, comprised of seventeen
      > > (17) terminals (two of which are in the State Department Operations
> [...]
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic