22647Re: Nice old article about original NORAD Combat Ops Center

    Feb 12, 2012

      > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "buchcty" <rickcstone@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The GEP was moved from March to Strawberry Peak to give better airborne coverage. March sits in quite a hole.
      > >
      > > The EC-135s that sat alert had nothing to do with 15th AF at least not while there was a GEP there. March was a forward operating location for Blue Eagle (CINCPACs ABNCP).
      > >
      > > Stoney
      >
      > Thanks for the update;assuming the March GEP was USAF owned & operated, was it fixed in a building, or one of the transportable trailers/vans like the Blue Eagle GEP's in the Western Pacific/far east?
      >
      > I've also found a couple more things about the March GEP: it was on another circuit I believe to have been NEACP, and on this one Strawberry Peak was not a terminal; and March was on wide band(secure voice) A/G circuit,along with Strawberry Peak.
      >
      > March was designated MRCHAB CA and MARCH ABCA on pre CLLI records; also shown as Moreno CA( the LSO[local serving office])on some circuits.

      With no further response from Stoney, and looking further into this, I have concluded(without documentation so far)that March AFB may have had a transportable GEP trailer early on, then became a landline terminal on the GEP circuits(using umbilical cords to the A/C on the ground);with Strawberry Peak becoming the RF connection point in that area.

      Other locations on GEP multipoint air-ground ciruits that appear to have not had UHF mux connectivity but rather terminated in A. phones and/or switch, or B. the aircraft on the ground via umbilical cables.

      Examples of A: the Project offices(most likly for access to the most survivable Autovon switches), Site R, Pentagon,Cinclant HQ Norfolk,Little Creek Naval Base Va; Rockdale Ga,Monrovia Md,Drainsville Va,Chesterfield Ma.(These last four may have been primarily for Autovon/PSN access)

      Examples of B:Andrews AFB,Langley AFB,Homestead AFB,March AFB,NAS Pensacola Fl; Flagstaff Az(apparently was a GEP,then a landline connection, or vice versa).

      A couple of wild cards are: Pennsuco Fl(overseas/high seas connection?)and Florida City Fl(doubt it was for Cuba access:)
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic