17429Re: Electrical grid article

  • ocsrc
    Jul 12, 2010
      Exit 32 off 476 ( used to be PA 9, or the Northeast Extension as the locals called it.

      Bear right at the light off the exit on 663 South towards Pennsburg.

      Over the bridge, thorugh the light at the Spinnerstown Rd intersection.

      Left onto Old Plains Road. If you reach the traffic light at Kings Highway you missed the turn.

      Follow Old Plains Rd about 3/4 mile.

      It is on the right, you can't miss it.

      If you reach the end of Old Plains Rd, you went too far.

      High Security at this site now.

      I would call before going there.

      I went there when it was owned by ATC and in the process of being sold it only took 5 minutes for state police to arrive.

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "roger.hendrixson" <roger.hendrixson@...> wrote:

      > Yes, what exit off the Turnpike....you recall AT&T Cedarbrook ?
      >
      > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Sam Etler <etler@> wrote:
      > >
      > > http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/07/power-grid/achenbach-text
      > >
      > > Not really coldwarcomms exactly though I'm curious about one little snippit:
      > >
      > > "One of PJM's new control centers is an hour north of Philadelphia.
      > > Last February I went to visit it with Ray E. Dotter, a company
      > > spokesman.
      > > Dotter pulled off the turnpike in the middle of nowhere. A
      > > communications tower poked above the treetops. We drove onto a
      > > compound surrounded by a security fence. Soon we were in the bunker,
      > > built by AT&T during the Cold War to withstand anything but a direct
      > > nuclear hit and recently purchased by PJM to serve as its new nerve
      > > center."
      > >
      > > Anyone have thoughts on what site they're talking about
      > >
      > > sam

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic