17333Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Nice old article about original NORAD Combat Ops Center

  • Rod Lannon
    Jun 29, 2010
      We always referred to them as Command Posts.
      Ent AFB was the size of a postage stamp! Just
      a large square block with standard military style fencing
      around it, with the appropriate warning signs.
      Incidentally, Ent was surrounded. at the time (1976)
      by a residential neighborhood.

      I believe the entire complex was sold to the USOC for
      a dollar.

      COC or Command Post, its all semantics. I would not have
      felt Nuke safe in any of them, with the exception of NOARD at CMF.
      The dirty little secret is none of them could have survived
      a direct hit, after 1975 or do.

      Yes, this includes Bldg. 500 at Offutt AFB. It may be 3
      stories underground, very secure, and high tech... it
      was never designed for any direct hit, to begin with.
      LeMay knew it would be heavily targeted, no sense
      in spending billions on it.

      Redundant CP's, as you mentioned, were the NECAP
      or "Looking Glass" aircraft. And some of these were not
      EMP hardened.

      Rod