1724Re: Emergency Power from Ships

  • ozob99@yahoo.com
    Apr 29, 2001
      --- In coldwarcomms@y..., albertjlafrance@c... wrote:
      > Fascinating - I had never heard of those DEs converted to
      power-supply ships.
      > The matter of emergency power in case of a widespread disaster like
      > war is definitely important, and also difficult to deal with.
      Especially so
      > in what I'd call the "intermediate" time frame - after the acute
      phase of the
      > disaster (rescuing trapped survivors, aiding the injured, etc.), but
      > the normal civil infrastructure is restored.
      > In the time immediately after the disaster occurs, the only activity
      in the
      > affected areas would be emergency teams self-sufficient in all their
      > including power. But later, when the broader task of rebuilding
      > power requirements would be much greater, and the users (e.g.
      > contractors, municipal work crews) would probably not have their
      own power
      > generation capability. That's similar to the situation in Manila,
      > on the web sites, where the USS Wiseman served.
      > The bottom line is: I don't know what plans are in place to provide
      > generating capacity. The idea of a power-supply ship seems as
      viable today
      > as it was in WWII; it would be interesting to see if any of these
      exist, or
      > if there are standing plans to make the conversions.
      > Of course, there are truck/trailer-mounted generators in rental
      fleets around
      > the country, but I doubt that many are in protected locations; in
      fact, most
      > are probably stored near urban areas where the greatest demand is.
      > Albert

      I stongly suspect there are some ships with that capability,or easily
      converted thereto....but i cant find any contemporary references to
      the matter,and see no reason why it would be a "black" program??..lets
      hope the capability is there if ever needed.

      > In a message dated 4/28/2001 10:47:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > ozob99@y... writes:
      > > Since we're into emergency comm restoration in "disasters" during
      > > cold war and up to the present....what about emergency power for
      > > comms(& eveything else essential) during that period &
      > > from the obvious transportable gas turbine & diesel units,
      > > FEMA,the Navy, or any other agency have a plan to use
      > > Navy/USCG/Military Sea Transport ships for restoring power to
      > > coastline cities like these destroyer escorts did in WW2 &
      > > as shown on these pages:
      > >
      > > http://www.de220.com/Conversions/TEG.htm
      > > http://www.sunwest-emb.com/wiseman/misc-1.htm
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic