16339Re: [coldwarcomms] High Power Radio

  • Tom Scanlan
    Feb 1, 2010
      Hi Jim-
      Thanks so much for your response! Those antennae have bugged me for a few years, and I am privileged to hear from you, who actually worked at the base! Last time I was there - January, 2009, the building was still marked Joint Task Force South - is that the same as JIATF?

      One day the gates happened to be down into the front parking lot, so I just walked up and went in. Confronted with a locked door in the lobby, I pressed the button and the door opened, allowing me into the next lobby, and there was a thick glass behind which were about three VERY serious looking people. I introduced myself, presented my ID card, and asked if I could have a tour!

      That shorted all their circuits! One guy then said "we don't do tours", to which I asked to talk to someone from Public Affairs. Again, the circuits blew, and the three people behind the glass just glowered at me, hoping I'd go away. Finally one guy told me to wait and he'd get someone. About 10 minutes later a lady - 40ish - came down and out to greet me, and I gave her my ID card, said I had worked in satellite communications, was a retired USAF LtCol, and could I have a tour.

      She said tours were possible, but rarely were they given to individuals. She suggested I contact the Key West associations related to the military, perhaps the local Navy League chapter, the Military Affairs Committee of the Chamber, etc, and that would probably be the best place to hook up with a group that would be having a tour.

      She took my email address, and I emailed her back, asking about the antennae. Never heard anything back, but we didn't get a knock on our door from the DIA/CIA/Secret Service/FBI, either. <grin>

      Jim, thanks again for your reply. Curious as to your career and what you did...obviously in the reserves at one time. I see you are living in Grand Haven. We're Michiganders as well, Yoopers, actually, Copper Falls. Small ghost town 30 miles north of Houghton. Both of us went to Mich State. I did 11 active and 27 reserve in the USAF.

      Best-

      Tom

      From: Radioman390@... <Radioman390@...>
      To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com