      From: "paul125a" <paul125a@...>
      To: <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:53 AM
      Subject: [coldwarcomms] Re: SNARK (not the sailboat)

      When I saw the word "SNARK" in the subject field I thought, great!
      someone is going to talk about the Snark--the 1950s-era, proto-
      cruise missile that was to go from bases in CONUS all the way to the
      USSR at subsonic speeds, carrying a nuclear warhead. The guidance
      system they developed for it was very advanced, and was later used
      for the SR-71 Blackbird. The Snark had a difficult testing period,
      leading people to talk about "Snark-infested waters" off Cape
      Canaveral.

      Paul C.
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic