11062Re: Boeing EC-135 Looking Glass aircraft

  • Xxxxx xxx
    Nov 4, 2006
      Thank you for that. Interesting to see Bellovin claims the Soviets
      were not offered PAL technology until 71, while the author of Red Star
      Rogue claims the technology transfer occurred about half a decade earlier.

      All in all I sleep safer (not!) knowing the devices are now protected
      by a computerized circuit that is at least as safe and reliable as the
      sensors and computer chip in my 90s vintage (an yes, it is fairly well
      maintained) Jeep.

      If you have ever noticed your car alarm is going off as you drive down
      the highway, or had a brake or an oxygen sensor go bad and report a
      problem where non exists, you will understand my concern.

      Lacking a status board, I would assume the vast majority of PAL
      malfunctions would go largely unnoticed unless an attempt was being
      made to fire the weapon, as most would simply dud the unused warhead.
      This realitization naturally raises questions as to how many deployed
      warheads are actually functional and how many experience sensor
      failure issues which no one notices.

      MTBF, Chaos Theory and Murphy's Law come to mind. I am not sure which
      scenario is worse. Do you want a non-PAL protected device in the
      hands of someone who may react in a negative way to a personal crisis?
      Anyone who knew someone who decided one day to kill themself, but who
      also gave little external advance notice of rising internal stress
      levels, should understand the flaw in that scenario. That, and weapon
      security issues, argue strongly for PAL devices, but the increasing of
      complexity of such devices creates new reliability problems and
      concerns.

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@...> wrote:

      >snip
      > >
      > > Steve Bellovin's orginal URL for the PAL crypto study appears dead.
      > snip
      > Try:
      >
      > http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/nsam-160/pal.html
      >

      > snip