Re: Origin of Cognition

  • SFTesla
    Message 1 of 720 , Aug 4, 1999
      Now I understand why our species' mental
      development evolved the way it did: We beat our fellow man
      over the head with a club (no pun intended) every time
      somebody utters an idea with which we feel the need to
      disagree. <br><br>This explains the CNS cortex's remarkable
      redundancy capabilities: As the last poster pointed out, the
      left brain can be taken out and the right would take
      on [one hopes it does](after training) the complex
      tasks performed by the left, the left having much finer
      detail resolve --with twice the neuron density-- than
      the more abstract-minded right wing. Anyhow, our
      engineering called for this form of robust durability --and
      thick skulls. [I'd say disease and primative('s)
      nutrition played a factor, but BSE, (although new),
      breaches in and takes over completely; & starvation is a
      C-V affair.]<br><br>With or without the estrogen, a
      human's ability to precisely throw rocks is hallmarked as
      a all-out, uses-all-10%-of-CNS-potential feat. This
      inane ability seems to be essential to our evolution,
      somewhere along the lines. As for the skull size
      conflicting with birthing canal diameter, I'm up for grabs
      (with the forceps).<br><br>And to follow up on C.S.
      (loved the Windows analogy!).. were we to make the
      mistake of silence before or during courtship, a loud
      verbal shouting match following is not uncommon.
    • charles_w_2000
      Message 720 of 720 , Dec 5, 2012
        --- In cognitiveneuroscienceforum@yahoogroups.com, volleyball_scientist wrote:

        > Hi there - is anyone attending SFN... - would like to get in touch with potential attendees - especially those in vision/visuo-motor integration

        ---

        http://www.balametrics.com/
        http://www.infinitywalk.org/

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptical_trainer