13977Leibniz: I think, therefore there is an I

  • Roger Clough
    Nov 20, 2013
      Leibniz: I think, therefore there is an I

      The true meaning of Descartes' famous dictum, "I think, therefore I am"
      can be clarified further by restating it using Leibniz' model of
      being (essence+existent) if the proposition is restated as
      "I think, therefore there is an I", or equivalently as
      "I perceive, therefore there is an I", or in
      fact any proposition containing a the subject "I" and a verb.

      Such propositions are simple intentional acts by the mind,
      not the brain, where "I" is the essence or monad of the
      existent brain, which then thinks much as a violin is
      played by a violinist.

      This also answers Heidigger's life-long search for
      an answer to the question "what is being?"
      Being is "I am" or essence+existence.

      Dr. Roger B Clough NIST (ret.) [1/1/2000]
      See my Leibniz site at