It's time...

  • Rick Balzen
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 3, 2004
      Well, if ever there was a right time to get the FairTax Act passed, this is it.

      -- A President inclined toward tax reform.
      -- A President not distracted by re-election concerns.
      -- A President with the strength and conviction to decide to take action and stand behind it.
      -- A Congressional majority supportive of the President.
      -- Enough states behind the President to ratify a Constitutional amendment.
      -- A concerned, value-oriented American populace ready to enjoy freedom from the IRS and burdonsome paperwork.
      -- A weakened Main Stream Media whose doubting messages would be met with suspicion.

      NOW is the time to make the FairTax happen!

      The question is:

      HOW can we ensure that this advantageous situation doesn't "slip through our fingers"?

      Thanks!
      Rick Balzen
      http://www.BOLDfx.com   - since 1998
      Web application and site development
      (internet + intranet)
      303-412-7721
      phone and fax

    • Wardo
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 4, 2004
        I have to share in your optimism and sentiments regarding the election results.

        The first encouraging factor to me was actually seeing the Fair Tax being attacked by opponent campaigns. This means the Washington Establishment must truly be scared and think this has a chance to happen, otherwise, they would just ignore it in my opinion.
        The second encouraging factor is that Fair Tax supporting candidates did well on election night. DeMint in SC was a great victory for the Fair Tax cause I believe. From what I understand, he was attacked heavily on this issue in his campaign and the people of South Carolina obviously learned about our issue and approve of it!

        I'm not sure what exactly we can do. I hope that the Fair Tax organization sets out a plan for the next 1-2 years to get this legislation out of committee and to a vote. If they need to raise money for this, let me know, I'll do what I can.

        On a more personal note, I do intend to send a letter congratulating many of these newly elected Fair Tax supporters and the existing ones urging them to move forward with passing this legislation.

        I was very encouraged that in Pres. Bush's acceptance speech and again today in his press conference that he mentioned "simpliying the tax code" as one of his goals in a 2nd term in office. Someone with this goal should very likely be willing to consider supporting The Fair Tax Plan.

        Rick Balzen <taxes@...> wrote:
[...]

        Mark R. Ward
        Colorado Springs, CO
        Keep Your Money, Abolish The Income Tax: http://www.fairtax.org
      • Monty McCurry
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 4, 2004
          I suggest we look at the model of and/or maybe even enlist the assistance some group like the Laptop Lobbyist in order to initiate a campaign to our elected representatives letting them know how large the interest level is out here in the hinterlands.  Through an effective "virus" marketing and education effort via the net we can all inform our friends and work to drive traffic to the Fair Tax website to educate folks and start generating the necessary donations to sustain the effort.

          Fax and e-mail campaigns to our elected officials, finding a spokesperson(s) who can get on talk radio, etc to educate the marketplace.  Talk radio, the bloggesphere, websites, virus marketing, Fox News (cable news), etc all represent the new media.  We have to get several people who have access to the public through these media to educate the public and create pressure on our elected representatives - only then will we get action.

          Rick is exactly right, if there was ever a time to act it is now - we have about 24 months to do it before another Presidential election cycle gets back into full gear, and we may not have a favorable administration the next time. If we can get this done we can sustain the American economy and make ourselves more competitive worldwide than ever before.  The only question is whether those who sit in the seats of power really want the "folks" out here in the hinterlands to be true "free enterprisers".

          Monty C. McCurry, President
          Executive Resource Management
          Aurora, CO
          800-788-7522
          303-337-7522 office
          mcmccurry@...

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 5, 2004

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 5, 2004
              The next issue of BW discusses Bush's Next Four Years.  From that article, here is one paragraph about taking on the tax code:
              Many Republicans, including House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Tex.), want to replace the revenue code with a national sales levy. Others support a flat tax that would set a single rate on all income. But those proposals are already generating business opposition. Retailers and small businesses worry that a big new sales tax would chill consumers. And corporations, many of which pay little or no tax, are not enthusiastic. In the end Bush may get only small-scale changes. In the balkanized atmosphere of Washington, "it's tough to come up with a big policy that has any chance of enactment," says former GOP Representative Vin Weber.
              Based only on this article, it is obvious that "retailers and small businesses", at the very least, don't understand the FairTax.  And are big corporations truly "not enthusiastic"?

              For the whole thing, go here:

              Thanks!
              Rick Balzen
              http://www.BOLDfx.com   - since 1998
              Web application and site development
              (internet + intranet)
              303-412-7721
              phone and fax

            • Erik Fransen
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 5, 2004
                On Thursday, November 4, 2004, at 01:21 PM, Monty McCurry wrote:

                > ...finding a spokesperson(s) who can get on talk radio,

                Just as a point of information, I excerpted the post from Mr. McCurry
                citing a spokesman to reach talk radio listeners. I came to support
                this issue of the FairTax from listening to Mike Rosen on 850 KOA (M-F
                9-noon). I'll send an e-mail to Mr. Rosen asking if he might be willing
                to share his 50,000 watt pulpit on this subject again.

                As a side note, I had an e-mail exchange with my father, a
                died-in-the-wool Civil Rights-movement Democrat, who questioned me about
                what happens if the income from the FairTax does not meet expected
                standards. I tongue-in-cheek suggested that then it would be time for
                the media to chastise the wealthy of the United States for not doing
                their patriotic duty and the need for all well-to-do persons to go out
                and purchase as many yachts, fine jewels, exotic cars, private jets and
                American-made custom motorcycles as they can.

                Erik R. Fransen
                vikingerik@...

                +++++++
                "What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done
                for others and the world remains and is immortal." -Albert Pike
                +++++++
              • Monty McCurry
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 6, 2004
                  Just a note to add to Erik Fransen's comments regarding his father's concerns - the Fair Tax is the only means by which the "underground  economies", including that of the criminal elements in our society, are brought into pay their fair share of the cost of operating our government(s) - I don't know what that number is but it certainly is in the hundreds of billions of dollars.  As an economist I am sure that MIke Rosen could tell us what his profession believes that number is.

                  PS - That includes all the non-filers and all the costs associated with attempting to bring everyone into compliance.  All of the jobs that would be lost as a result will be absorbed into more productive activities.  And, Mike Rosen again can speak to this, I believe that all of the asset valuations that may depreciate as a result will eventually balance out.

                  Monty C. McCurry
                  mcmccurry@...

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 6, 2004

                    Also, Neal Boortz out of Atlanta is a big supporter of the Fair Tax on his radio show. You can listen to his show online at www.boortz.com, there is also his number to call in to the show on there. He is broadcast in alot of markets in the South and East but I don't believe he is broadcast in Colorado.

                    As to your dad's question, I would point out that studies show consumer spending is far more stable than personal income over time. There is information about this somewhere on the Fair Tax web site. However, your assessment might be the correct in that the media would nudge the wealthier Americans to buy more if revenues would fall short. The other solution is simply that the tax may need to be raised a percentage point if it were consistently falling short.