Fwd: Response from Congressman Mark Udall

  • Christian Navarrete
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2004
      Here is an exact "copy" of an e-mail response I received from Congressman Mark Udall (D) about a month and a half ago. Thought you'd like to see it...

      Blue Skies!

      Christian Navarrete

      From: "Congressman Mark Udall"
      Subject: Response from Congressman Mark Udall
      Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:50:47 -0400

      August 16, 2004

      Dear Mr. Navarrete:

      Thank you for letting me know you support replacing the
      progressive income tax with a national sales tax or similar tax
      on consumption. I appreciate your getting in touch.

      I agree that a national sales tax (or something similar) could
      have some advantages. However, unless it were carefully
      designed, it could mean that people with lower incomes (who
      must spend a greater proportion of their incomes on living
      costs) would be paying more than people with higher incomes
      - just the reverse of the idea behind the progressive income tax.
      In addition, many states and local governments depend heavily
      on sales taxes, so it would be important to consider how an
      additional, federal sales tax might affect them.

      I don't know if the House of Representatives will consider
      changing the tax laws along these lines. If it does, you can be
      sure I will remember your views.

      Thanks again for contacting me. I see my job as being about
      more than supporting or opposing legislation. I also see it as a
      chance to try to bridge ideological divides and to bring people
      together to solve problems. So, I welcome your letters and e-
      mails and always listen closely to what you and other
      Coloradans have to say about matters before Congress, the
      concerns of our communities, and the issues facing our state
      and nation.
      This is the iclose.doc for Word

      Do you Yahoo!?