Melrose Surge For Peace

  • ellen allen
    Message 1 of 49 , May 18, 2008
      Hi All,

      On Monday we are continuing our stand (or sit) on the Southwest corner of St. Roads 21 and 26 in Melrose. Bring signs, pots and pans, music, poetry, candles or anything else which shows your non-violent response to our government's actions both at home and abroad.

      We are there from  5:00-6:00p.m. Please try hard to be there by 5:00.  THAT SAID,  I HAVE JURY DUTY TOMORROW AND WILL DO MY BEST TO BE THERE BY 5:00.

      Join us.  We really need your presence and your energy.
      Let's Surge For Peace!

      In peace and justice,
      ellen

      "How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." --Anne Frank

      "I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do." --Helen Keller

      “Voting is easy and marginally useful, but it is a poor substitute for democracy, which requires direct action by concerned citizens."  Howard Zinn

      “Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.”
      Winston Churchill

      "Where is the justice of political power if it executes the murderer and jails the plunderer, and then itself marches upon neighboring lands, killing thousands and pillaging the very hills?": Kahlil Gibran

      "Protest that endures...is moved by a hope far more modest than that of public success: namely, the hope of preserving qualities in one's own heart and spirit that would be destroyed by acquiescence." Wendell Berry

      “The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it.” John Hay 1838-1905 American statesman, diplomat, author, journalist, personal secretary to Abraham Lincoln.

      "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the
       powerful and the powerless means to side with the
       powerful, not to be neutral." - Paulo Freire

      "Non-cooperation with evil is as much a duty as is cooperation with good." -- Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi - (1869-1948)

      “ During times of war, hatred becomes quite respectable even though it has to masquerade often under the guise of patriotism:” Howard Thurman

      "Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience. Our problem is that numbers of people all over the world have obeyed the dictates of the leaders of their government and have gone to war, and millions have been killed because of this obedience. . . Our problem is that people are obedient all over the world in the face of poverty and starvation and stupidity, and war, and cruelty" : Howard Zinn

    • ellen allen
      Message 49 of 49 , Jun 7, 2008
        Hi All,

        On Monday we are continuing our stand (or sit) on the Southwest corner of St. Roads 21 and 26 in Melrose. Bring signs, pots and pans, music, poetry, candles or anything else which shows your non-violent response to our government's actions both at home and abroad.

        We are there from  5:00-6:00p.m. Please try hard to be there by 5:00.

        Join us.  We really need your presence and your energy.
        Let's Surge For Peace!

        In peace and justice,
        ellen

        "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein

         "Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunters": African Proverb