Fw: [bayareacodepinkdiscussion] Fwd: [upj-bayarea] Fwd: [UFPJ] Force Congress to act

  • Jacqueline Betz
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3 6:30 AM
      Hi CodePINKgainesville,
        PHONE: Capitol switchboard, ask for Stearns office( or YOUR Congressperson)  888-355-3588 (free) 202-224-3121; Stearn's local office: 352-337-0003.
        Please call Congressman Stearns office on Wednesday, April 5, a National Call-In Day (see below) and tell him you support House Resolution #543, which forces Congress to Act on Iraq - demand a full debate on Iraq
        Remember, it's been 3 years, over $300 billion and nearly 3,000 dead, 20,000 seriously wounded, and over 100,000 innocent Iraqi civilians, over half women and children dead --
        WHAT YOU DO MATTERS - SPEAK UP -- LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!  Statistically,  every call Congress receives represents the sentiments of about 100 constituents in their district.  That's a huge voice!
      Jacque Betz

      Fwd: [UFPJ] Force Congress to act

      >code pink
      folks: get on your phones next wednesday!!!

      >> > Dear UFPJ
      member groups,

      >> > We have a rare opportunity to
      work with a
      >> bi-partisan group of
      >> > Representatives
      to launch a campaign to force
      >> Congress to act against
      >> > the war in Iraq.  On April 5, the group, led by
      >> Rep. Jones
      (R-NC) will
      >> > hold a press conference calling on other
      members
      >> of Congress to join
      >> > them signing a
      petition to demand a full debate
      >> and vote on real

      anti-war measures.  Our grassroots role is to make
      >> sure members
      of
      >> > Congress hear from us.... please forward this

      call....

      5
      >> > Call your Representative
      >> > 202-224-3121 or
      888-355-3588

      >> > The U.S. has been at war in Iraq
      for 3 years, with
      >> no end in sight,
      >> > and Congress
      has refused to debate the war since
      >> the initial

      authorization to use military force was debated in
      >> 2002.
      >> >
      >> > Since the House last had a true debate on
      Iraq,
      >> they have voted to
      >> > give Bush over $300
      billion for the war, thousands
      >> of U.S. service

      people and Iraqis have died. Support for the war
      >> has
      plummeted.

      >> > Last week, when President Bush
      admitted that the
      >> U.S. occupation will
      >> > outlast his
      administration (which doesn't end
      >> until 2009), it became
      >> > clear that Congress must have a serious debate

      about Iraq.

      >> > Still, Congress ducks the issue
      and refuses to
      >> debate the war.
      >> >
      >> > We
      can change that We can demand that Congress
      >> debate and vote on a
      >> > plan to end the war and bring the troops home.
      >> >
      >> > Rep. Neil Abercrombie (D-HI) introduced
      H.Res.543
      >> last fall, a
      >> > resolution which demands a
      full debate and vote on
      >> the war.  This is

      different from other legislation UFPJ has
      >> supported before, and is
      >> > considered by many to be our best chance, to get

      Congress to consider
      >> > substantive measures to end the
      war.

      >> > H.Res. 543 is a "discharge petition".
      Once it
      >> receives the signatures
      >> > of half the
      members of the House (218 members),
      >> the bill bypasses its
      >> > committee and is immediately considered on the

      House floor for debate
      >> > and a vote.
      >> >
      >> > The way the bill is written guarantees us 17 hours

      of debate, and
      >> > allows amendments.  Rep. McGovern (D-MA)
      would
      >> introduce his "end the
      >> > war in Iraq Act" -
      which cuts off funding for the
      >> war - as an

      amendment.  We would also expect Rep. Lee to
      >> introduce her no
      >> > permanent bases resolution as an amendment, and

      Rep. Murtha to offer
      >> > his bill as an amendment.
      >> >
      >> > A discharge petition doesn't sound very
      exciting,
      >> but this one could
      >> > lead to a
      breakthrough in Congress on Iraq.

      >> > Our
      April 5th call-in day will be backed up by a
      >> bi-partisan group of
      >> > Representatives who will hold a press conference

      that day to urge
      >> > their collegues to sign the petition.
      They have
      >> also lined up a panel
      >> > of influential
      conservatives who oppose the war to
      >> urge congress to
      >> > debate Iraq.  In a letter to their collegues,
      >> Reps. Jones
      (R-NC),
      >> > Gilchrest (R-MD), Paul (R-TX), Abercrombie
      (D-HI),
      >> Skelton (D-MO),
      >> > Meehan (D-MA) reminded
      them, "Americans deserve an
      >> open and honest
      >> > debate
      about the future of U.S. policy in Iraq by
      >> their

      representatives in Congress."

      >> > April 5 could be
      the real turning point in
      >> congress on Iraq.
      >> >
      >> > Call your Representative on Wednesday, April 5
      >> > 1-202-544-3121 or 1-888-355-3588
      >> >
      >> > Find out
      if your Representative has already signed
      >> the petition.
      >> >

      ><
      title=http://clerk.house.gov/109/lrc/pd/Petitions/Dis6.htm href="http://clerk.house.gov/109/lrc/pd/Petitions/Dis6.htm">http://clerk.house.gov/109/lrc/pd/Petitions/Dis6.htm>

      If they have,
      >> > thank them, and ask them to commit to
      persuading
      >> at least one other
      >> > member to sign the
      petition.

      >> > Please deliver this message if your
      Rep. has not
      >> signed.
      >> > Ask to speak to the
      Legislative Director:

      >> > � Identify
      yourself as a member of your local
      >> group, and as a member
      >> > of United for Peace and Justice.
      >> > � Demand
      that Congress show the U.S. troops, the
      >> people of this
      >> > country and the Iraqi people the respect they
      >> deserve.  It
      is time for
      >> > a full debate on the war in Iraq.  Tell them
      >> sign H.Res.543, the
      >> > discharge
      petition.
      >> > � Ask the legislative director if your

      Representative will sign the
      >> > discharge petition.
      (Usually the staff person
      >> will not make a

      commitment, so ask them to please let you know
      -
      >> > give them your email address.)
      >> > Report back
      on your phone call to UFPJ.  Send an

      reportbacks@...

      >> > Interested in doing more legislative work to
      end
      >> the war, or to
      >> > receive weekly legislative
      updates?  Sign up for