UF panel discussion of Gaza

  • mark1343@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2009

      From: Emmanuel Mennonite Church <gnvmenno@...>
      Subject: UF panel discussion of Gaza
      To: "Eve MacMaster" <evemacm@...>
      Date: Monday, February 23, 2009, 10:29 PM

      Peacemaker friends:

      BELOW IS A MESSAGE FROM DENNIS SHUMAN AND AN INVITATION TO ATTEND AN IMPORTANT, BREAK-THROUGH EVENT AT UF

      Dear friends,

      As many of you know, I am involved in trying to help achieve a just peace in Israel/Palestine. As President Obama has said, I believe that we need to sit down and talk with those we disagree with as a path towards peace. Dialogue.

      Well here is what I have been advocating, delivered to us on a silver platter by the University of Florida (see description below). I will be there to witness and support this effort, and I hope you will be there as well.

      Peace, Shalom, Salaam, Shanthi,

      Dennis

      Dennis Shuman

      4336 NW 27th Drive

      Gainesville, FL 32605

      (352) 374-4478

      "Think globally, act locally"

       The Gaza panel will be held on March 2nd at 7 p.m. in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom.  I hope that you can come!  Please feel free to let anyone who you think might be interested to know about it.

      The panel will be made up of Gerald Murray, Anthropology; me, Political Science; and Matthew Jacobs, History.  Professor Murray has done participant observation among settlers in Gaza , as well as in a Palestinian village in the West Bank .  I believe he will talk about those experiences.  I plan to talk about bottom-up views of the Gaza conflict among Palestinians, as well as some effects of it on a segment of Jewish Israelis.  I believe that Professor Jacobs will talk about Gaza and U.S. foreign policy.  We will have a few students who study the  Middle East  as a panel to conduct the first round of questions.  The program is being sponsored by a large set of Muslim, Jewish, other student organizations, the UF International Center, the Near and Middle East Working group, and others.  The students have really made this happen.  I am excited about it.

      Patricia J. Woods, Ph.D.
      Co-Coordinator, Near and Middle East Working Group
      Assistant Professor
      Political Science and Jewish Studies
      University of Florida

      Click here to find the perfect picture with our powerful photo search features.