Re: Montreal

  • Chad.Nilep@Colorado.EDU
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2003
      Quoting Para Radanielina:

      > Subject: Inquiry
      >

      > Does anyone have any information about the sociolinguistic situation in
      > Canada, more precisely Montréal?
      >
      > Thank you in advance
      >
      > Marie Louise

      Some members of the list may have direct experience of the current situation in
      Montreal and may respond to you. If not, I would recommend that you read some
      of Monica Heller's work. For example:

      Heller, Monica, Mark Campbell, Phyllis Dalley, and Donna Patrick. 1999.
      Linguistic minorities and modernity : a sociolinguistic ethnography. London and
      New York: Longman.

      Heller, Monica. 1999. Alternative Ideologies of la francophonie. Journal-of-
      Sociolinguistics 3(3) 336-359.

      Heller, Monica. 1996. Legitimate Language in a Multilingual School. Linguistics-
      and-Education 8(2) 139-157.

      Heller, Monica. 1992. The Politics of Codeswitching and Language Choice.
      Journal-of-Multilingual-and-Multicultural-Development. 13 (1-2) 123-142.

      Heller, Monica. 1989. Aspects sociolinguistiques de la francisation d'une
      entreprise privee. Sociologie-et-Societes. 21 (2) 115-128.

      Mougeon, Raymond and Monica Heller. 1986. The Social and Historical Context of
      Minority French Language Education in Ontario. Journal-of-Multilingual-and-
      Multicultural-Development 7 (2-3) 199-227.

      --
      Chad D. Nilep
      Department of Linguistics