Paper on Code switching in novels

  • Rudi Sukandar <rudisukandar@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2003
      Hi,

      I'm writing a paper on code switching. Do you happen to have read a
      publication (books, articles in journals) about CS in written works
      (novels, short stories)? If you have, would you kindly inform me
      about the publication? Thank you.

      Regards,

      Rudi
    • cuneo9999 <lcallahan68@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 11, 2003
        Rudi,
        Below are some references that might be useful.
        Best,
        Laura Callahan

        Aparicio, Frances R. 1986. "Nombres, apellidos y lenguas: La
        disyuntiva
        ontológica del poeta hispano en los Estados Unidos." The Bilingual
        Review/La Revista Bilingüe. 13-3: 47-58.
        Azevedo, Milton M., 1991. "Literary Dialect as an Indicator of
        Sociolinguistic
        Conflict in Juan Marsé's El amante bilingüe." Journal of
        Interdisciplinary Literary Studies. 3.2: 125-136.
        ---. 1993. "Code-Switching in Catalan Literature." Antipodas.
        5: 223-232.
        Blommaert, Jan. 1993. "Intercultural Communication and African
        Popular
        Literature: On Reading a Swahili Pulp Novel." African Languages and
        Cultures. 6:1. 21-36.
        Dabke, Roswitha. 1983. "Code-Switching and Segmentation in
        Hartling's
        Familienfest." Language and Style. 16-3: 361-373.
        Heinemann, Ute. 1996. Novel.la entre dues llengües: El dilema català
        castellà. Trans. Laura Puigdomènech. Kassel, Germany: Edition
        Reichenberger.
        Hess, Natalie. 1996. "Code switching and style shifting as markers
        of
        liminality in literature." Language and Literature. 5-1: 5-18.
        Lalla, Barbara. 1998. "Registering Woman: Senior's Zig-zag Discourse
        and
        Code-switching in Jamaican Narrative." Ariel. 29-4: 83-98.
        Mackey, William. 1993. "Literary Diglossia, Biculturalism and
        Cosmopolitanism in Literature." Visible Language. 27.1/2:40-67.
        Mohr, Eugene V. 1982. The Nuyorican Experience. Literature of the
        Puerto
        Rican Minority. Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood Press.
        Nassar, Joseph. 1993. "Transformations in Exile: The Multilingual
        Exploits of
        Nabokov's Pnin and Kinbote." Visible Language. 27.1/2: 252-272.
        Omole, James O. 1987. "Code-Switching in Soyinka's The
        Interpreters."
        Language and Style. 20-4: 385-395.
        Rudin, Ernst. 1996. Tender Accents of Sound: Spanish in the Chicano
        Novel
        in English. Tempe, Arizona: Bilingual Press/Editorial Bilingüe.
        Tilden, Kathleen. 1985. "Sociolinguistic Aspects of Jakarta Dialect
        Switching
        in Bahasa Indonesia in Eight Indonesian Novels." Diss. University
        of
        Michigan.
        Timm. L. A. 1978. "Code-Switching in War and Peace." The Fourth
        LACUS Forum
        1977. Ed. Michel Paradis. Columbia, South Carolina: Hornbeam
        Press.

        --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, "Rudi Sukandar
        <rudisukandar@h...>" <rudisukandar@h...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm writing a paper on code switching. Do you happen to have read a
        > publication (books, articles in journals) about CS in written works
        > (novels, short stories)? If you have, would you kindly inform me
        > about the publication? Thank you.

      • Jan Blommaert
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 19, 2003
          I've written a bit on that:

          Jan Blommaert
          1993 Intercultural communication and African popular literature: On reading
          a Swahili pulp novel. African Languages and Cultures 6/1: 21-36.
          1998 English in a popular Swahili novel. In Johan Van der Auwera, Frank
          Durieux and Ludo Lejeune (eds.) English as a human language. To honour Louis
          Goossens, 22-31. Munich: LINCOM Europa.
          1999 State ideology and language in Tanzania. Köln: Rudiger Köppe Verlag,
          Chapter 4

          Some of this, I believe, can be found electronically on our departmental
          website http://africana.rug.ac.be (under 'publications - Jan Blommaert')

          Jan Blommaert

          Citeren "Rudi Sukandar <rudisukandar@...>" <rudisukandar@...>:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm writing a paper on code switching. Do you happen to have read a
          > publication (books, articles in journals) about CS in written works
          > (novels, short stories)? If you have, would you kindly inform me
          > about the publication? Thank you.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Rudi

        • Deborah Gill
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 11, 2003
            Hello all!

            I am wondering if someone would know of a corpora of language data
            available for Spanish (Spanish-English) in the United States (in addition
            to the Lope Blanch materials). I am in the process of writing a paper
            which includes code switching in Spanish of the Southwest as well as other
            elements.

            Thank you for any help you may be!

            Best to all,

            Debbie

            Deborah Gill, Ph.D.
            Assistant Professor of Spanish
            Pennsylvania State University-DuBois
            College Place
            DuBois, PA 15801
            (814) 375-4783
            Email: djg25@..., msdgill@...
          • FIDELHOLTZ DOOCHIN JAMES LAWRENCE
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 11, 2003
              Hi Deborah:

              check out:

              LINGUIST List: Vol-14-505. Thu Feb 20 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.
              From: "Mark Davies" <mdavies@...>
              Subject: Corpus del Español - 100 million words wide range

              I just today tried out the search engine, and so far it works fine. With
              that much data, you should be able to check out whatever you want (also, the
              cachos go back to the 13th century).

              Jim

              Deborah Gill escribió:

              > Hello all!
              >
              > I am wondering if someone would know of a corpora of language data
              > available for Spanish (Spanish-English) in the United States (in addition
              > to the Lope Blanch materials). I am in the process of writing a paper
              > which includes code switching in Spanish of the Southwest as well as other
              > elements.
              >
              > Thank you for any help you may be!
              >
              > Best to all,
              >
              > Debbie
              >
              > Deborah Gill, Ph.D.
              > Assistant Professor of Spanish
              > Pennsylvania State University-DuBois
              > College Place
              > DuBois, PA 15801
              > (814) 375-4783
              > Email: djg25@..., msdgill@...

              James L. Fidelholtz
              Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje
              Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla MÉXICO
            • Carsten Otto
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 12, 2003
                Am Mittwoch den, 12. März 2003, um 00:14, schrieb FIDELHOLTZ DOOCHIN
                JAMES LAWRENCE: