Re: [code-switching] Re: Language alternation and code-switching

  • Adam Blaxter Paliwala
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 19, 2003

      Establshing definitions for any widely used terminology is always difficult. I
      think one of the key reasons why descriptive categories for behaviour, such as
      our topic 'code-switching' or 'code switching', are often applied to quite
      different groups or phenomena, and with attention by researchers to differing
      aspects of the environment, or context, in which such phenomena occur is that
      different data sets call attention to different areas of interest.

      'Code switching' research incorporates studies which approach mixed language
      behaviour from the social and pragmatic perspective, looking perhaps at the
      distribution and functions of language varieties (codes) in a particular
      community and investigating what particular roles and meanings these varieties
      and patterns of their use encode in local discourse. 'Code switching' research
      also incorporates studies which approach mixed language behaviour from a
      structural perspective, investigating formal relations between varieties.

      The division of topic between these subfields may seem to justify closer
      distinctions in the terminology we use to describe such research, but I feel
      that maintaining the use of a single cover-term is practical and useful.
      Research into mixed language behaviour is now in a phase where different
      paradigms are becoming established and starting to cross-fertilize. Under the
      rubric of 'code-switching' we have seen research into patterns of multilingual
      and multilectal expression flourish across the fields of linguistics.
      Admittedly, formal and functional studies have rarely gone hand in hand. Myers-
      Scotton, for example, chose to publish her social and structural analyses or
      mixed language behaviour, and specifically code-switching, in East Africa as
      separate works in 1993. However, if we choose to pick separate terms for
      sepaprate areas of research we are in danger of unravelling the network of
      associations which are flourishing in this field.

      While some 'code-switching' research focuses on pragmatics and some on
      structure there is shared ground in the apparant distinction between
      linguistic expression which calls upon the resources of a single 'code' and
      that which utilizes the resources of different systems.

      On the question of language varieties and dialects it is this issue of
      systemacity which is most relevant. Where we can define a discrete and
      systematic 'code' we have a variety which can be distinguished from
      other 'codes' where they are used discretely. All code-switching research
      selects as its topic behaviour where different 'code' systems are used
      together.

      I would resist presenting 'Language Alternation' as a more appropriate super-
      category to 'code-switching' on the grounds that to use the word
      and 'language' to define an area of research which naturally distinguishes
      between more discrete subjects as 'languages' and more similar subjects
      as 'dialects' within the same language in the process of establishing similar
      patterns in their combination is to limit ourselves unduly.
      Similarly, 'alternation' does not seem an appropriate super-definition for
      phenomena which can include insertional patterns and congruent
      grammars. 'Language Alternation' seems an ideal title for a particular
      category of 'code-switching' research, just as 'dialect alternation'
      or 'language insertion' might be.

      The more neutral term 'code-switching' remains valuable to because it allows
      for researchers into, for example, dialect mixing at the phonological level to
      network their theories and results with, for example, researchers into the
      expressive function of mutlilingual discourse in constructing particular
      identities. As a super-category, 'code' is neutral with respect to the kind of
      system under study, and 'switching' does capture the perceptual salience of
      those moments when we notice language varieties in contact, while still
      remaining neutral as to whether the general patterns the 'switching' takes are
      alternational, or insertional, congruent, etc.

      Personally, I like to think of my broad field of research interest as
      being 'Mixed Language Behaviour', a term I have used in my comments above,
      without being particular about whether I am considering languages, or language
      varieties, or dialects, or exactly what kind of behaviour is under the
      microscope. Under this category I consider a range of differing subjects, such
      as second language acquisition, pidgin formation and decreolisation, and code-
      switching as seperate subfields resulting from their psycholinguistic, social
      developmental, and pragmatic and strucural focus. Each of these established
      fields differ in the paradigms they follow. I resist a definition of 'code-
      switching' as being limited to dialects or varieties within a single system on
      the grounds that the term 'code' seems to have a more pwerful scope than that.
      What is clear, however, is that for 'code-switching' research to fulfill its
      potential, individual practitioners need to think for themselves about the
      paradigm that they are a part of, and how it relates to the philosohpy and
      practices of other researchers in the field. Celso's category of 'Langauge
      Alternation' I would still consider a part of 'code-switching' research, as I
      consider 'language' a type of 'code' and 'alternation' a type or 'switching',
      but I think that he is right to make a distinction for his own work as he
      establishes a stronger paradigm for his research.

      I think that the established super-category encourages shared thinking, and
      this should not be diminished. However, we should all be aware that 'code-
      switching' research is diverse and comewhat fragmented. We are all in the
      process of defining our own paradigms. Giving them names is part of a process
      which helps us find our way.

      2 kina blo mi tasol
      Peace and love
      Adam.

      Adam Blaxter Paliwala MA
      University of Sydney
      Department of Linguistics
      Australia NSW 2006
      <adam.paliwala@...>
      +61 4 1489 3136

      This mail sent through IMP at ArtsIT: http://admin.arts.usyd.edu.au/horde/imp/
    • Celso Alvarez Cáccamo
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 21, 2003
        Hello,

        There have been a couple of very useful messages in reply to my own on CS
        and language alternation. Thank you.

        Chad Nilep wrote:

        >First, you assert, "[C]ode-switching theoretically involves the
        >alternation of systems which are not distinct 'languages', but
        >dialects, registers, etc." It is not my understanding that code-
        >switching necessarily refers to dialects or registers of a single
        >language.

        You're absolutely right, of course, I forgot "necessarily", that is, I
        meant to say:
        the most widespread view of code-switching theoretically involves the
        alternation of systems which are not NECESSARILY distinct 'languages', as
        everyone knows... I apologize if this created confusion in my message.

        Adam Blaxter Paliwala wrote:

        >'Language Alternation' seems an ideal title for a particular
        >category of 'code-switching' research, just as 'dialect alternation'
        >or 'language insertion' might be.

        Well, I thought I was clear that LA stands for alternation between any type
        of speech varieties. What I meant to say is that LA is the surface
        phenomenon by which signals from (seemingly distinct) varieties A and B
        appear sequentially (thus being amenable to grammatical inspection),
        whereas CS is the underlying recontextualizing phenomenon which may or may
        not be signalled by LA (language-variety alternation, 'insertion' or the like).

        In _A Theory of Semiotics_, Eco goes at length to exemplify two types of
        'codes' that roughly correspond to what I'm talking about (Eco, Umberto.
        (1976): A theory of Semiotics. Bloomington: Indiana University Press,
        particularly pp. 32ff). I'll try to oversimplify Eco's dense arguments
        with a linguistic example.

        Let us take classical LA examples of the type:

        "Y en Puerto Rico he would say que cortaba caña, even though tenía su
        negocio, you know"
        (From Sankoff, David, and Shana Poplack (1981) ‘A formal grammar for
        code-switching', Papers in Linguistics: International Journal of Human
        Communication 14,1:3–45.)

        Or:

        "It's creating hard feelings avec les Anglais"
        (Heller, Monica S. (1992) ‘The politics of codeswitching and language
        choice', in Carol M. Eastman (ed.) Codeswitching, Clevedon: Multilingual
        Matters, 123–142.

        I'll focus only on

        "He would say que cortaba caña"

        Let's represent it as Eng-Sp (English=>Spanish).

        In this utterance, I propose to distinguish between two possible processes:
        (a) The processes by which linguistic meanings (about 'third person
        masculine', 'say', 'cut' 'cane', etc.) are coupled with surface signals
        belonging to two apparently distinct systems (Eng and Sp), such as ['hi],
        ['wUd], ['seI], [ke], [kor'taBa], ['kaÑa], etc., and ordered that way. (b)
        The process by which (or not) the ordered coupling of meanings with surface
        signals in Eng and Sp encodes or not communicative meanings that would be
        different IF the speaker had uttered instead:

        -- Él decía que cortaba caña [Sp-Sp] OR
        -- Él decía that he used to cut cane [Sp-Eng], OR
        -- He would say that he used to cut cane [Eng-Eng]

        The Eng and Sp systems working at the first (a) level can be understood as
        Eco's S-codes (standing for "Syntactic/Semantic codes"), whereas the
        signification mechanism underlying process (b) would be, in my mind, what
        Eco simply calls "the code". Code-switching, to me, occurs in the second
        process. [Now, in my opinion the ordering of processes is the opposite:
        first comes the encoding of overall pragmatic, interactional contents and
        intentions through (b), then comes linguistic and other types of signalling
        through (b)]

        Of course, whether a given Sp-Eng or Eng-Sp sequence does or does not carry
        interactional meanings going beyond semantic coding is an empirical
        question. Very often, these alternations are automatic, and are then
        comparable to phonological "coding".

        So, let me adventure more precise definitions about the interactions
        between CS and LA:

        - CS with LA is the phenomenon by which something X is communicated by
        means of two linguistic signalling systems A and B on a given occasion when
        a different combination of A and/or B signals with roughly equivalent
        propositional content by the same speaker would mean something different at
        socio-interactional levels, that is:

        The AB sequence =/= (not equals) BA OR =/= AA OR =/= BB

        - LA without CS is the phenomenon by which the juxtaposition of A and B
        signals on a given occasion is communicatively roughly equivalent to other
        possible A and/or B combinations with equivalent propositional contents,
        that is:

        AB = AA = BB = BA

        Now, it may very well be the case that where social norms for frequent
        alternation are flouted by, precisely, a speaker's sticking to
        *monolingual* discourse. That is, where an A=>B alternation should be
        expected, a monolingual A=>A sequence is produced instead. In that case,
        how to make sense of and explain the *recontextualizing* effect that the
        *monolingual* sequence may have in regards to expectations about bilingual
        behavior? Simply: there we probably have communicative code-switching
        between the two parts (A, and A), WITHOUT language alternation. I couldn't
        be more structuralist here!: where two paradigmatic alternates can occur,
        and the occurrence of one is umarked (i.e. alternating languages), its
        non-occurrence and the occurrence of the other is marked (i.e.
        non-alternating).

        I admit that I am not very up-to-date in recent grammatical work on LA, so
        please do not flack me. I very much agree with Adam on the necessary
        convergence of viewpoints on the study of 'mixed language behavior', and it
        was not my intention at all to point at redrawing disciplinary boundaries
        (for which I am in no position at all!). Simply, my point is to emphasize
        the "switching", communicative part of this mixed (or not!) behavior, and
        to re-center the CS notion precisely on that communicatively active part.

        Therefore, research on syntactic constraints on language alternation is of
        course very relevant to CS the way I've proposed. However, it is not
        directly relevant as to the occurrence of CS, but as to the grammatical
        conditions of possibility by which speech alternation between a given pair
        of languages/varieties (LA) MAY on a particular occasion signal (manifest,
        carry, indicate) recontextualization ("otherness", as Auer would say)
        through CS.

        Best,

        Celso Alvarez Cáccamo
        Linguística Geral, Fac. de Filologia