Re: [code-switching] code-switching thesis

  • Celso Alvarez Cáccamo
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 20 7:29 AM
      hangmanspage22 wrote:

      >Pascasio (1977)wrote:
      >Since Philippine vernaculars are presently undergoing lexical
      >development,code-switching and language mixing occur frequently among
      >Filipino bilinguals, since these serve to facilitate
      >communication.While he may have to grope for expressions in one
      >language to convey an experience or an idea,a bilingual can
      >effortlessly express the idea by mixing patterns from different
      >languages.To the Filipino-English bilingual,combined English and
      >Filipino,rather than English and Filipino features has become a
      >natural way for speaking and expressing ideas more explicitly.Where
      >Pilipino lacks a more precise term,English is used to fill the gap
      >and vice-versa.

      I would say that's quite a normal and typical situation. Speakers have
      integrated speech repertoires from which they draw in order to communicate
      efficiently in a variety of contexts. The 'explanation' that "bilinguals"
      "resort to" "another language" in order to "fill a lexical gap" may just
      be the linguist's construction of the speaker's non-reflexive practices.

      Celso Alvarez Cáccamo
      lxalvarz@...
      www.udc.es/dep/lx/cac