Re: About methodology

  • azzubeyr19
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2 11:44 AM
      Dear Anastase,
      I've just read your message about your problem collecting data on CS.
      Honestly I don't see anything unethical in recording anonymous people
      without them being aware. Would it be immoral to just listen to them
      without recording? I don' think so. It's all the same. Is it
      unethical to film people in the streets performing their everyday
      activities? That's something we see everyday in TV news for example.
      Furthermore isn't it really immoral to kill inocent people in many
      parts of the world? So, what's unethical in making a research on how
      people speak, even if it is necessary to record them without tjeir
      consent? (Labov's observer paradox). Go ahead Anastase, without
      remorse. I'm doing this type of research in Algeria for a PhD
      dissertation and I don't see anything wrong about it!!!
      Best regards from a webfriend Zoubir.
      z_dendane@...

      --- In code-switching@y..., Nizeyimana Anastase <nanastase@y...>
      wrote:

      > Dear C.S. Yahoogroups members,
      >
      > I am doing academic research on code switching and gender and my
      sample is limited to the National University of Rwanda in Butare
      town. I am now facing a practical problem of getting their acceptance
      to be recorded - probably because of culture bound reasons. On the
      other hand, recording them without their consent is considered as
      unethical. Since C.S. mainly occur in informal speeches and since
      they are refusing to offer their hand in getting recorded, can anyone
      suggest me how I may overcome this dilemmatic situation? I would
      really be grateful!

      > Yours sincerely,
      >
      > Anastase NIZEYIMANA

    • Michele Koven
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3 9:32 AM
        Hello,

        Most American researchers do have to demonstrate to their home
        institutions that they are getting informed consent before they
        collect data (even when abroad). The only exception is if one can
        claim to be recording public interaction, where people might
        otherwise expect to be overheard. As you say though, people in
        different places may have very different understandings of what you
        are doing and why you are doing it, etc. Can you ask around to try to
        understand what about recording makes people uncomfortable, and then
        maybe change how you explain your project to people?

        Michele Koven

        --

        Michèle Koven
        Assistant Professor

        ph:(217) 333-8969
        fax: (217) 244-1598
      • Marian Sloboda
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3 4:04 PM
          Dear Anastase and Zoubir,

          the problem is that people usually allow for being just heard or seen, but
          not for being recorded - that is why some of us have the dilemma - to record
          without their consent, or not to record without their consent? I have
          noticed (and I am sure that many of you too) that people usually speak
          differently and about different topics when they are recorded (and are aware
          of it). Not long ago I learnt to record people without their consent (till
          then I had considered it a kind of theft). Recently I try to solve this
          ethical problem this way: When I hear something what I think the interviewee
          would mind being recorded, I tell them that it is interesting and that I
          would like to record it. If their reactions are negative, after the
          conversation ends I erase the record, if they don't react negatively, I keep
          it. Or, if you don't make interviews but record an "everyday conversation",
          you can ask the people in advance if they would mind being recorded, let's
          say, sometime in two weeks. If they are not against, you can freely record
          their speech during the two weeks without asking them in the moment of
          recording. If they don't agree, the dilemma remains, and it's up to you
          then. - Just a suggestion.

          Good luck with your research,
          Marian

        • Missm1775@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , May 3 4:22 PM
            Hi All,
            I didn't see the original post, so this comment may be way off base (sorry
            if it is) but if you are involved in research and want to publish (and use
            your affiliation-university or otherwise) I believe you must have a study
            approved by your governing board (IRB)and have informed consent from all
            subjects-Moreover, you must be certified to conduct research on human
            subjects and this certification includes a seminar or computer study module
            and a test. I feel this is a bit much for collecting linguistic data, but my
            institution- SUNY Stony Brook- will not allow you to even distribute a
            sociolinguistic survey without such approval!
            Again, sorry if I am off the mark with this response.
            Margo DelliCarpini
            SUNY Stony Brook
            Department of Linguistics

          • Esther Schely-Newman
            Message 5 of 10 , May 4 10:00 PM
              Hi All,
              Michele point about what people make of recording their speech in public was
              well demonstrated in the movie "My Fair Lady". When Elisa is told that
              someone is writing down everyword she says, she is sure it will lead to
              prosecution. So be careful out there.
              Esther
              Dr. Esther Schely-Newman
              Department of Communication and Journalism
              The Hebrew University
              Jerusalem, Israel
              > Most American researchers do have to demonstrate to their home
              > institutions that they are getting informed consent before they
              > collect data (even when abroad). The only exception is if one can
              > claim to be recording public interaction, where people might
              > otherwise expect to be overheard. As you say though, people in
              > different places may have very different understandings of what you
              > are doing and why you are doing it, etc. Can you ask around to try to
              > understand what about recording makes people uncomfortable, and then
              > maybe change how you explain your project to people?
              >
              > Michele Koven
              >

              > --
              >

              > Michèle Koven
              > Assistant Professor
              > Department of Speech Communication
              > 244 Lincoln Hall
              > 702 S. Wright St.
              > Urbana, Illinois 61801
              >
              > ph:(217) 333-8969
              > fax: (217) 244-1598

            • Mercy chiezukwa
              Message 6 of 10 , May 5 12:54 PM
                Hi doctor,
                I think i should really count on you to assist me in
                geting the informations i need on this site. Dr i am
                really confused .I need any available materials on cs
                Can you help me.
                mercy
                --- Esther Schely-Newman <msetti@...>

                http://health.yahoo.com
              • linguaffix
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 11, 2002
                  Anastase, you've probably solved your practical problem by now and
                  don't need another view on data collection. I'm only catching up now,
                  sorry. My postgrad student has had a similar problem in Cyprus
                  recording villagers over 45 years of age who wouldn't sign the
                  consent form. This is a cultural thing and when people are asked to
                  sign a piece of paper they think they'll be liable in the future. It
                  was simply a letter written by me as the supervisor saying that we
                  would use the recordings for research purposes and asked them to sign
                  the bottom if they agreed. None of them did. But they were happy to
                  be recorded without any written agreement. We then deleted
                  the 'please sign the bottom if you are willing to participate' bit,
                  and let them keep the letter. Maybe you could do something like this
                  if your department produces a similar letter explaining what the
                  recordings are for.
                  Good luck
                  Petek

                  wrote:

                  > Dear C.S. Yahoogroups members,
                  >
                  > I am doing academic research on code switching and gender and my
                  sample is limited to the National University of Rwanda in Butare
                  town. I am now facing a practical problem of getting their acceptance
                  to be recorded - probably because of culture bound reasons. On the
                  other hand, recording them without their consent is considered as
                  unethical. Since C.S. mainly occur in informal speeches and since
                  they are refusing to offer their hand in getting recorded, can anyone
                  suggest me how I may overcome this dilemmatic situation? I would
                  really be grateful!

                  > Yours sincerely,
                  >
                  > Anastase NIZEYIMANA

                • Susan Ervin-Tripp
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 11, 2002
                    We had the experience of applying to the Committee on Human Subjects
                    for some research on children's peer interaction in China. The researcher,
                    who is Chinese himself, explained that if we asked for consent, the
                    parents would assume we only were doing that because it was extremely
                    dangerous and people should be warned. The committee gave a waiver
                    on using the forms.

                    Susan M. Ervin-Tripp tel (510) 642-5292, 642-7137
                    Professor Emeritus FAX (510) 642-5293
                    Psychology Department ervintrp@...
                    University of California
                    http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~ervintrp/